GP51MP-24B-045-1 Hot Surface Ignitor replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Onkar Sharma

Reaction score
Hi All,
Let me start by saying that I am very new to this.
I just bought my house and woke up to a cold home. I am good with tools but am just figuring out the furnace.

There is no ignition in the furnace. It looks like the signal from thermostat is reaching the furnace and the furnace does try to start and quickly errors out. From the flashing lights on the furnace logic board it looks like the ignitor needs to be replaced. I am trying to get the burner box cover off. I removed the 4 screws on the front cover but it is still stuck very tight. Is there a reason for the cover to be glued to the box? Should I just keep yanking at it or there is a trick I am missing?

Sorry for the silly question but any help will be appreciated. Also I did unplug the HVAC and closed the gas line. Is there any other safety step I am missing?

Stuff

Reaction score
I never heard of one being glued shut. Heat issues would make any glue ineffective. Sometimes rust will hold things in place but more likely there is another screw.

Onkar Sharma

Reaction score
Thanks.
Makes sense except I see only 4 screws. Online video talks about only 4 screws.
Here's the picture of my HVAC burner box cover

Let me know what you think. Meanwhile I will try again tonight

Attachments

• IMG_20171104_140818.jpg
    IMG_20171104_140818.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 298

Stuff

Reaction score
Yes, that cover should just pop right off. Did you use a multi-meter (ohmmeter) to check the ignitor?

Onkar Sharma

Reaction score
It is the same video I saw. That cover came off so easily for him. I think I broke a nail or two trying to pry it off. Am going to go there soon. Will keep you posted.

Onkar Sharma

Reaction score
Checked igniter. It is reading 14ohms. The expected resistance should be between 10-20 ohms. Now I am at a loss.
The two lights ds1 and ds2 are flashing fast alternatively.
How do I check ground?

Onkar Sharma

Reaction score

Onkar Sharma

Reaction score
Fast or slow flashing?
Check ground by first measuring voltage between hot and green chassis ground wire - should be same as between line and white neutral (120 vac). Then check ohms between neutral and ground - should be close to zero.
http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Par...ight_two_stage_ignition_system_11-01-2006.pdf

Hi Stuff,
So the measurements are:
1. Hot and Chassis- 125V
2.Line and neutral- 125V
3. Ohms between neutral and ground- ~1 ohms (sometimes read as much as 2.7-2.9)

I have a new igniter. Ohms is 15.1.

I am thinking logic board. Let me know what you think. I still have not been able to pull the darn burner cover off. I will keep trying.

Onkar Sharma

Reaction score
Hi Stuff,
So the measurements are:
1. Hot and Chassis- 125V
2.Line and neutral- 125V
3. Ohms between neutral and ground- ~1 ohms (sometimes read as much as 2.7-2.9)

I have a new igniter. Ohms is 15.1.

I am thinking logic board. Let me know what you think. I still have not been able to pull the darn burner cover off. I will keep trying.

Attachments

• IMG_20171106_221158.jpg
    IMG_20171106_221158.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 269

Stuff

Reaction score
Ohms between neutral and ground should be a fraction of an ohm and should not fluctuate. Try measuring again with the breaker in the electrical panel off.

Stuff

Reaction score
Check the connectors that feed the ignitor. Disconnect and reconnect the 4 pin white connector on the board. Otherwise may need a new board.

Onkar Sharma

Reaction score
OK. Thanks for all the help. I will check the ignition connection later tonight after I put my son to sleep.
I tried to look up the board number. I am coming up with 83M00. Where is it written on the board?
Should I just order the original (it is a white Rogers) or go with alternate part (21D83M-843)?

I will update soon

Onkar Sharma

Reaction score
Another problem is that I measured the voltage at the furnace to be 28 v.
At the thermostat it drops down to 16v. I will look for any wire splitting, but I know nothing about how this house is wired.

Kindly advise.

Stuff

Reaction score
Original should be 69M1501 - number printed on white sticker on IC (Integrated Circuit). The 83M00 looks to be a newer equivalent Lennox version. Also is W.R. 50A66-743 which is same as 21D83M-843 but without the extra adapters and parts that you wouldn't need.

Voltage drop at thermostat would be independent of your issue. Disconnect the thermostat and see if the voltage goes up. Thin wires, distance, and load all play a part.

Still might be something else but replacing the board is the next logical step.

Onkar Sharma

Reaction score
Thank you very much.

Considering that it is going to be considerably colder over the next 2 days, I ordered 21D83M-843, more expensive but was available with 2 day shipping.The other one was cheaper by 40 dollars but was coming in on Tuesday.

Stuff

Reaction score
One more test. Unlikely but still something to check. Disconnect and measure resistance of ignitor leads to ground. Should be close to infinity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks