American Standard wall mount tank 1960

Users who are viewing this thread

Schlage

Reaction score
We just purchased a home recently which has wall mount toilets, approx 40yrs old. One is an American Standard with a 4049 tank, gravity flow. The tank cracked and flooded the bathroom. I’m looking for a replacement tank but only find the pressure assist for that model. Will the pressure assist work on the older model toilet or is that what they were originally built with?
Thanks in advance.

cadet_wh_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For the old bowl, you need something that flushes five gallons. The pressure assist only does 1.6 gallons.
You either need an old tank for that, or just replace the tank and bowl. Gerber makes a nice replacement that fits on the same bolt pattern.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ng-toilet-review-comments-and-pictures.55272/

gerber_20_021_zoom_terry.jpg

The bowl is about 1.5" higher and uses 1.28 gallons. It comes with a compact elongated bowl.

Last edited:

Schlage

Reaction score
Really appreciate the quick response. Here are a couple pictures. It looks different than the AS placed in my original post. Did the previous owner just install the wrong bowl or flapper, or remove the pressure assist? It seemed to work fine and use less gallons than the other one in the house. (Tan toilet) which definitely uses a lot of gallons and flushes horribly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 799
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 805
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 906
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 7,622

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pressure assist will not work with your old bowl.
Don't waste your time trying. The bowl on your forty year old water wasting bowl was never designed to flush with only 1.6 gallons and even worse, not with a pressure assist which needs a bowl designed for that type of action. It's a totally different way of moving water through the bowl. The old bowl used at least 3.5 gallons to siphon the bowl. Pressure assist pushes water out of the bowl, and with just a little bit. With the old bowls, it won't evacuate the water from the bowl. It just kind of stirs your pee and poo a bit. Not good.

fm-2010-01.jpg

Here they are explaining how the design of the bowl needs to be matched to the tank.

fm-2010-02.jpg

What you had was a large volume gravity bowl that "slowly" moved water through a trapway. A lot of water was needed.
1.6 gallons will only stir the water a little bit, but not create the siphon it needs.

fm-2010-06.jpg

So many ways to design a bowl. They are not all the same. Not at all.

fm-2010-08.jpg

The bowl in front is a Kohler pressure assist.

fm-2010-07.jpg

This is me in Detroit Michigan at the Flushmate factory for my three day course on how the Flushmate works and can be serviced.

Schlage

Reaction score
index.php

The toilet is an old Kohler wall hung, using 3.5 gallons to flush with. They were pretty popular in the 60's.
For the old bowl, you need something that flushes five gallons. The pressure assist only does 1.6 gallons.
You either need an old tank for that, or just replace the tank and bowl. Gerber makes a nice replacement that fits on the same bolt pattern.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ng-toilet-review-comments-and-pictures.55272/

gerber_20_021_zoom_terry.jpg

The bowl is about 1.5" higher and uses 1.28 gallons. It comes with a compact elongated bowl.

Finally just received my Gerber Maxwell after two months on order. Not a big deal but definitely much longer than expected.
Anyhow, just pulled the old toilet to realize the previous owner built his own toilet mount. Angle iron bolted to studs.
Dimensions seem to work, just hope it seals. No wonder plumbers can’t stand do-it-yourselfers. At least do it right if there doing it themselves! Thanks, we’ll see what happens.

Attachments

• 56C55388-17ED-45A2-84E2-2501F27D6922.jpeg
    56C55388-17ED-45A2-84E2-2501F27D6922.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,387

Schlage

Reaction score
Finally just received my Gerber Maxwell after two months on order. Not a big deal but definitely much longer than expected.
Anyhow, just pulled the old toilet to realize the previous owner built his own toilet mount. Angle iron bolted to studs.
Dimensions seem to work, just hope it seals. No wonder plumbers can’t stand do-it-yourselfers. At least do it right if there doing it themselves! Thanks, we’ll see what happens.

Well, it’s installed. Only time will tell if it holds up and doesn’t leak. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 02BCE98A-16AA-461A-93CF-2683DE86B4B6.jpeg
    02BCE98A-16AA-461A-93CF-2683DE86B4B6.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 894

msg-lake.home

Reaction score
I have a American standard Wall Mount Model F4040 with a cracked tank as well. I found a used 4049 tank on e-bay. Does anyone know if that will fit. I would rather replace just the tank. If not I will follow the Gerber Maxwell Replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks