Sewage Smell in apartment

Users who are viewing this thread

ATC4404

Reaction score
I'm at a loss. A sewage smell comes throughout the day at my apartment. I open the windows and run hot water with some baking soda down the drain--which temporarily makes the smell go away. Air filter been changed...
The apartment complex hired an inept plumbing team to come "fix" the problem. Days of water being shut off 8-10 hours and three weeks of these ---plumbers being around the smell is STILL happening.
The apartment management tried to blame the problem on the heating unit. I tested that and no smell. The smell comes in when the AC runs and sometimes when the fan is off the smell still happens.
This odor starting to make me feel sick so I really need to figure out what the heck is going on.
Suggestions on what the problem maybe?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
When the AC runs it changes the air pressure inside the apartment and wherever the sewer leak is it is pulling the air in. Somewhere in the building the air vent for the drain has broken. Do other tenants have the same problem? If it is really bad you maybe able to call the health department as ask what can be done.

What you can do is fill all sinks and the bathtub, shower etc with water so orders cannot come in from the drains. Plug up the drain for a washing machine if you have one. If the smell continues then it is not from the drains. How does your AC condensate drain? Into the waste line of the apartment or an independent pipe to the outside.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It might be a failing air admittance valve (AAV). Instead of venting every plumbing drain out the roof, some drains might have an AAV that is supposed to only allow air into the drain. They are not supposed to let sewer odor out. Some types fail easier than others and when that happens sewer odor enters the living space. It might be under your sink or behind a little vent on the wall etc.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1.....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.3.750....0.fNsM0tHoStg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks