Feeling stupid- can't figure out how to turn on shower...

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How would you want them to design it? The way they made it means that it ALWAYS works and seldom leaks. WE are creatures of habit, which is why a greeting card that opens backwards is so hard to figure out.

FullCollapse

Reaction score
Registered here simply to say that I am 30 years old, I have a bachelor's degree, a master's degree, I own a house and a car, and I have managed to successfully raise a child to age four and counting, and yet I still needed google to tell me how to bathe in my hotel room this evening. Tonight I go to bed defeated and perplexed, but at least I do not stink. I, and those who will be near me in the morning, thank this thread for existing.

delta-rp17453-terrylove-2.jpg

Samy

Reaction score
Wow! WE just rented a temporary apartment until we move into to our renovated home. Like others here I own a business , have a masters degree and fumbled for 15 minutes before i decided that Google would probably know. Simply amazing what the power of the web is as this is the first post that comes up. You saved me last night!

Anthony Perry

Reaction score
Ok, it is October 22, 2016. We just moved into this home and could not figure it out. Thank God for this thread. We took baths for 5 days and then I just knew there had to be a way to turn it on. I didn't have the same keywords in my searches I guess it took me awhile to find this and my answer...but once I did....OMG. Thank You so much. This was originally posted in 2006. Here it is 10 years later and still helping people. ❤

GKC

Reaction score
So happy to hear I wasn't the only one who couldn't figure it out. Just moved into a condo - stood ready for a shower, looked everywhere for a lever, a button, a knob - nothing! Thanks to Google and all your comments, I am now feeling less stupid!

Rashmi Sathe

Reaction score
Well, sadly the post title says it all-
My husband and I bought a house last week, and he tried to take a shower this morning; we must have spent a good 30 minutes trying to get the Delta faucet to switch from the "fill tub" position to the "shower" position- we pushed, pulled, twisted, etc. every part of it without any luck. :confused: I can't begin to tell you how silly we felt! He ended up taking a bath for the first time in years! :p

It's a single piece, Delta faucet; the house was built in 1992, so I assume it's from that period. It has a plastic collar lever on the right which controls volume of water, and an inner circle dial which controls temperature. There didn't seem to be any thing with the shower head itself, or the bottom of the drain thing-ie to pull to switch it over- we REALLY would like to take showers instead of baths, so if anyone out there has any suggestions...! :eek:

Much thanks!

delta_tub_spout.jpg

delta-pull-down-1.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I moved into a house built in 1998 and stumbled upon the same issue. So nice to find an answer here. One can hardly identity that ring at the end of the spout as something that can divert the water to the shower. Your post helped!! Thanks a ton.

Coffeekitty

Reaction score
Staying in a guest house and I ended up taking a bird bath this morning because neither I nor my roommate could figure out the shower!! Thank you from 2017! I'll be taking a shower tomorrow morning as my hair is a mess!

Simusphere

Reaction score
Been living in my new house for months now but never used the guest bath/shower. Same exact problem: How the heck do you turn the shower on? I kept thinking it was somewhere up by the shower head or something. Couldn't figure it out with out the aid of google and this thread. Thank you very much for the info. Now my guests can actually use the shower.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The person who designed the spout is probably the same one who moved the headlight dimmer switch to the steering wheel, after it had been on the floor board for decades, and didn't tell anyone about doing it.

Brenda Cameron

Reaction score
I thank you ,thank you,thank you!!!! It'll be 2 yrs come November I've been off & on trying to figure out how to work my shower but since I am not a shower type of girl I was able to live without it but it just really kept bothering me so I tried it again today and this time I worded it right on Google and bingo:pI think I'll use my shower today

Walle321

Reaction score
Thank you, I just bought new house and couldn't figure it out. Ended up running down stairs to the 3/4 bathroom to shower before work yesterday.

How hard would it of been to have "pull down" etched or pressed into the piece?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When new, the spout has a removable sticker with that exact instruction on it...I've been in a hotel that had a little plaque on the wall telling clients how to do it.

Teichholtz

Reaction score
Sigh... I can pull an engine out of a car, rebuild it, weld it's frame together and build a new kitchen. And am a software engineer.
And this page saved me much embarrassment.

September 16, 2017

Reach4

Reaction score
Sigh... I can pull an engine out of a car, rebuild it, weld it's frame together and build a new kitchen. And am a software engineer.
Old joke:
How many software engineers does it take to change a light bulb? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sofie

Reaction score
I'm actually in Hawaii right now and I still can't figure out how to use this shower as the faucet is different to the pictures above! Any idea how to turn this one on pls?!

IMG_9614.JPG

Phister Avante, handle pulls out for volume and twist left to hot, right for cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks