Questions about new plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Gagecalman

Reaction score
Hello to all,

This is new work done by someone licensed. Permitted and inspected. IPC.

Based on the great info I've learned from this forum I have a few questions.

I am always trying to learn the correct way to do things.

The first picture is for a vanity. I know it's a tight space for the drains. Should there be long sweep 90's?

The second picture is the kitchen drain which is vented. That goes down to the basement into a sani-tee.

In the third picture that drain from the kitchen is wet venting the laundry standpipe.

In the fourth picture, the drain from the kitchen and laundry go into the stack using a sani-tee.

In the basement:

Should the sani-tees be wye combo's?

Should the laundry have its own vent?

Thanks for all of the great info!

4333 Berger 034.jpg
4333 Berger 027.jpg
4333 Berger 038.jpg
4333 Berger 041.jpg

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
The first picture is for a vanity. I know it's a tight space for the drains. Should there be long sweep 90's?

Yes

The second picture is the kitchen drain which is vented. That goes down to the basement into a sani-tee.

It should be a combo, not a santee.

In the third picture that drain from the kitchen is wet venting the laundry standpipe.

Not code, anywhere.

In the fourth picture, the drain from the kitchen and laundry go into the stack using a sani-tee.

Thats fine.

Gagecalman

Reaction score
"I am tying to figure out what those two "black things" are in the washer drain. Yes it MUST have its own vent."
Looks like a check valve.

It is a check valve. I was told it is code because the standpipe is below the manhole cover.

There is also one in the floor where the new plumbing was done.

Gagecalman

Reaction score

plumber01 wrote: Thats fine.

I thought I read that you should use a combo there and the sani-tee should be used for a trap arm.
So can either be used and is one better than the other?

Gagecalman

Reaction score

plumber01 wrote: Thats fine.

I thought I read that you should use a combo there and the sani-tee should only be used for a trap arm.
So can either be used and is one better than the other?[/QUOTE]

Can someone help me with this please?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is a check valve, there is almost NO possibility that it would operate properly, because the washer lint will coat the seat and flapper to prevent sealing. If it is an "inline spring check" there will not be enough pressure to open it before the drain overflows. If a trap arm does NOT have its own vent, then a sanitary tee is REQUIRED. In this case there is a vent so any fitting can be used.

Gagecalman

Reaction score
If it is a check valve, there is almost NO possibility that it would operate properly, because the washer lint will coat the seat and flapper to prevent sealing. If it is an "inline spring check" there will not be enough pressure to open it before the drain overflows.
If a trap arm does NOT have its own vent, then a sanitary tee is REQUIRED. In this case there is a vent so any fitting can be used.

Thanks for the reply. It's strange but I was told that the check valve is required here in Baltimore City.

I assumed this a branch line due to the kitchen drain coming down into it and wet venting the utility sink (which is wrong).
If it is a branch can any fitting be used where it connects to the stack?

Gagecalman

Reaction score
I am trying to make sure I understand how to use the correct fittings.

If that line is a vented trap arm or it is a branch line a sani-tee or a combi can be used?

So can either be used and is one better than the other?

Thanks again for you patience!

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
A santee is acceptable anywhere for changing drain flow direction from horizontal to vertical. So are other
fittings. Santees are better because they are cheaper than the others, and are easier to use in tight quarters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks