Takagi tankless nightmare

Users who are viewing this thread

Phil Armstrong

Reaction score
Thats surprising to hear actually as they are known for being quite reliable usually. Are you having the same issues as with that other thread?

Scott-Perry

Reaction score
Thats surprising to hear actually as they are known for being quite reliable usually. Are you having the same issues as with that other thread?

Takagi was designed and built originally to work in Japan, where the winters are fairly mild. This unit should never be used in areas in America North of the Mason Dixon line where winters can be harsh. The unit simply was not designed to handle incoming water temps of under 45 degrees, and will crack its heat exchanger within 5 or 10 years under such circumstances. Meanwhile, Takagi will try to wiggle out of their warranty responsibilities, by claiming that the unit wasn't delimed frequently enough.

South of the Mason Dixon line, they work great.

Last edited:

Ben_Z

Reaction score
I had the same impression about Takagi water heaters as Phil Armstrong, although I don't like their design. But I believe that there are many devices that are not very attractive but still they are better than other nice looking ones. Takagi has several models to just generalize an experience and I guess the Takagi t-h3m-dv-n is one of the most popular ones.

Scott-Perry

Reaction score
Again, if you're north of the Mason-Dixon line, and your winters are harsh, beware. If you have mild winters, go for it. When I lived in Michigan, they were notorious for only lasting 8 or 10 years, and then having to be replaced due to cracked coils. Now here in California, they seem to last much much longer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks