new user and I believe venturi/jet blocked

Users who are viewing this thread

edward M

Reaction score
I have a HCM 75 deep well pump that was loaded with rust and I was preparing to take it apart to put a new seal in and O ring however I lost water. I now believe that rust may have clogged the venture/jet. I have another HJ 75 deep well pump that was purchased on Craigs list which appeared very new. It was manufactured in Dec 2004 and I have it for about 4 years so I am guessing that it has 8 to 9 years of run time on it. I just put it in service and have the same results as the HCM 75 . As I stated I was beating the casing of the old Myers and maybe I put heavy rust down the well and it blocked the jet. Is there a way I can test the HJ 75 pump for vacuum to see if it is working properly. It is nosier than my 50 year old HCM 75. I am trying to avoid
digging to get to the well box and pull the complete package out to eyeball the venture/ jet. I should have left the HCM leak because it was reliable, BUT.
Thanks for any feedback.

edward M

Reaction score
If you did get rust in the jet nozzle, there isn't much way to fix it except yo pull it up and clean it.
Okay, in addition to no water I am sick.

I have got the well box area uncovered and previously I with one or two friends pulled the two pipe system from the well with a bad foot valve. As I stated before this has a blocked jet venture and has a full load of water. I calculated that I have an additional 225 pounds of water to pull up.

Last time I used a older wheel horse lawnmower and it was done relatively easy. Now I have an MTD which looks pretty but my one neighbor has a big ATV 4 wheeler I think Susuki. What tips do I need to not screw everything up. I am assuming my fat old ass will be in the box which I though was 4ft by 4ft but it measures 2 ft by 3 ft. Where is superman when you need him?

edward M

Reaction score
I'd pull that two line jet system, throw it in a dumpster and install a submersible pump.
Yes, but to toss it out the animal has to get pulled without damage to well or anybody else. So as I stated previously is there an approved way to get it out without using 6 gorillas.
Also the new pumps submersibles as well as deep well pumps are literally junk. In talking to a plumber that is a friend of my brother(a distance away) he states you typically get 8 to 12 years on a submersible pump and the well guy typically blames it on the quality of the water.
He recommended Stayrite?? I think and he said it is less worse than the others. I may go that route but in the meantime I am here looking for constructive criticism.
Someday you will become older and more set in your ways and attempt to balance life and obligations with your available cash. As you may know by now I am a conservative by nature and of the belief it is not necessary to reinvent the wheel. I still drive a 1997 accord with a standard transmission. So when you are replacing the junk in CT with submersibles what is the safe way to do it?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
We only use Grundfos pumps, preferably hung on sch 80 PVC with stranded pump cable, but there are times we use 160 poly as drop pipe. With a properly sized, quality tank or a CSV, your pump should last easily 15 yrs.

StaRite submersibles were good 20 yrs ago, but the engineers have figured out a way to back the quality out and they use a motor that makes a damn good paperweight.

edward M

Reaction score
We only use Grundfos pumps, preferably hung on sch 80 PVC with stranded pump cable, but there are times we use 160 poly as drop pipe. With a properly sized, quality tank or a CSV, your pump should last easily 15 yrs.

StaRite submersibles were good 20 yrs ago, but the engineers have figured out a way to back the quality out and they use a motor that makes a damn good paperweight.
For my info only, what is CSV? Is stranded pump cable the safety line to prevent losing the boat anchor. Is 160 poly extra thick walled PE flexible coiled pipe to go down the well? If I am correct about the 160 poly then the question is why? I shouldn't be for pressure.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Connect an air hose to the smaller pipe and see if it will blow the water out of the line. That should make it lighter to lift. You would need to keep the air pressure in the lines or else the foot valve will let the water displace the air.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
No stranded pump cable is the type of wire we use, vs the standard solid core stuff that most guys use.

160 psi poly isn't as heavy walled as 200 psi, but it's more than adaquate for shallow (100' or so) pump settings.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
stranded pump cable is the type of wire we use
Originally I had the twist on Marr connectors but after pulling the pump a few times the strands started to fray and break off so I was cutting the ends off for a cleaner connection. I then tinned the ends so they would not fray and switched to the Marr connectors with binding screws instead.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks