Briggs Tank Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

ShawnN

Reaction score
Heya all,

I rolled through a few threads regarding tank replacement but didn't see one addressing this question.
I have a Briggs model 4930 tank that cracked up the side. I understand that the model is obsolete but I found a website called cheap toilet tank lids dot com. They appear to specialize in old tanks and lids.

Was wondering if anyone had experience with them? Legit or not? I'd really rather just replace the tank rather than the toilet as the rocket scientists that lived here before me installed the toilet on the concrete and tiled around the toilet rather that on top of the tile so I'll NEVER be able to replace the toilet unless I rip up a mess of tile, grout and thinset. Really don't want to do that.

Thanks all!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're wrong about not being able to install a new modern toilet on that floor. Many people have this problem when a new floor has been laid and the flange set below the finished floor. Options include a repair ring on the flange, a thicker wax ring, and stacked wax rings.

ShawnN

Reaction score
Some toilets have a wider base that would cover the old footprint.

Take a look at the footprint of Toto Eco Soiree.
https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms964214cefg.pdf

Now that might work. My main concern was covering that old footprint. I was already aware of flange extensions which I will more than likely have to use with this install. THANK YOU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Eco Guinevere https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms974224cefg.pdf would be even bigger at the base, but you are unlikely to need that extra.

There are others.

The Unifit system lets you connect to the flange with the toilet not yet in place. That can let you see what is going on, and to shape wax with no danger that you will stress the wax as you lower the toilet into place on the adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The old Briggs bowls had very small footprints. It's very likely that many of the new bowls will cover the old footprint. Most of the TOTO bowls would cover and also many of the new Kohler bowls.

ShawnN

Reaction score
The old Briggs bowls had very small footprints. It's very likely that many of the new bowls will cover the old footprint. Most of the TOTO bowls would cover and also many of the new Kohler bowls.

Will definitely check into the Kohler bowls. The Toto Eco Soiree is a bit out of my price range!

Reach4

Reaction score
Soiree is not cheap, but it does sell for less than list.

Spend some time documenting the existing footprint, and compare that with that of prospective toilets. Maybe a Drake II would cover the area.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you search a bit, you can get a Toto toilet for a lot less than the 'suggested' list price. If you check Terry's store, you can get an idea of the kind of price you should be able to find locally if you search around. The Drake is a very solid, if maybe plain, design that just works. You do pay for more 'style' and for some of the exotic colors (black is really expensive compared to white, for example, on the same toilet).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks