Ptrap vertical distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Nanmer

Reaction score
Hello all thanks for having me here. In the ipc code. It states ptrap cant be more than 24 inches from outlet of fixture to wier of trap. Can it be more than 2 feet if your using trap primers? Im in San Antonio, Texas. Tia.

Nanmer

Reaction score
Mods please delete this post. I double posted.

Last edited:

Nanmer

Reaction score
I should have said for traps 3 inch or larger I believe you may be able to reduce to 2 inch on the inlet side of the trap.
I see. So if it has no trap primers then the 24 inch code applies.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I see. So if it has no trap primers then the 24 inch code applies.
The trap primer does not determine the length of the trap inlet so if your trap is 3 inch or larger you can have the inlet side of the trap longer than 24 inches.

Nanmer

Reaction score
The ipc code states: The vertical distance from the fixture outlet to the trap weir shall not exceed 24 inches. Yet your telling me if the trap is 3 inches or larger it can be longer than 24 inches. That contradicts the ipc code. Where are you finding this? I done see it in the code book.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In a straight drop, gravity can let the water velocity get high enough that the it can potentially have enough inertia to empty the trap if that fall is too great. While I may be wrong, I think that's the reason they limit the length of the drop to the trap. Once the waste is past the trap, as long as it is vented properly, it can't go fast enough to empty the trap. The size of the pipe doesn't matter...gravity works the same in a 2" pipe as it does in one larger or smaller.

Nanmer

Reaction score
In a straight drop, gravity can let the water velocity get high enough that the it can potentially have enough inertia to empty the trap if that fall is too great. While I may be wrong, I think that's the reason they limit the length of the drop to the trap. Once the waste is past the trap, as long as it is vented properly, it can't go fast enough to empty the trap. The size of the pipe doesn't matter...gravity works the same in a 2" pipe as it does in one larger or smaller.
Thats the way I understand it. If the vertical is greater than 24 inches then you risk the water creating the seal being sucked out of the ptrap. But cwhyu2 is saying other wise. All I want to know is if the trap has a trap primer if that would exempt it from that rule. If you say it does then where in the code book does it state that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks