Sewer smell in second floor shower only while other 2nd shower on 2nd floor is in use.

Users who are viewing this thread

teqp

Reaction score
So this just started to happen within the last 2 weeks. When the second shower is being used (on the second floor) the shower stall in the master (also on second floor) starts to emit a sewer smell from the drain and some small amount of water drips out of the shower head. This had never happened before. Any ideas as to what can be causing this?

Thank you for the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try putting a couple cups of water into the drain of the master shower before using the second shower. If that helps, we can discuss the situation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The couple of cups of water will momentarily refill the (potentially) dry p-trap of the master bath shower. The p-trap is what prevents sewer gasses from escaping the drainage system back into the house. If the p-trap is dry for whatever reason, it's an open path. Using another drain will be pushing air around in the drainage system without something to block it.

IF that's what's happening, the goal then is to determine why. If it is, it's likely that the existing master bathroom shower is not properly vented, allowing other drains to siphon it dry enough to open a path because it loses its seal.

teqp

Reaction score
Try putting a couple cups of water into the drain of the master shower before using the second shower. If that helps, we can discuss the situation.
I didn't do this yet. What is did do, was run the second bathroom shower for about 8 minutes and there was no smell in the master. This was on the same day when I smelled the sewer smell. Then today again no smell. So I have not added water down the aster shower drain since there is no smell. I guess I can do it next time the smell occurs and report back? I was think g maybe there is a drainage issue, but both showers drain nicely. Thank you both for the replies, I do appreciate it.

As mentioned in first post, this has only been happening in the last 2 weeks. The second shower has been used a lot prior and there was no smell.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks