Power Flushing / Acid Cleaning Closed Loop Hydronic Heating

Users who are viewing this thread

JayNH

Reaction score
I'm installing a new boiler next week. I'm replacing a 30 year old Burnham combi boiler with a new Pensotti and HTP indirect. I'm replacing everything except the 3 radiant zone copper and baseboard heaters. The old system had a significant leak that was constantly being replenished with the auto fill. A lot of calcium and lime build up occurred on the units. I'd like to flush the plumbing before installing the new system, for the most efficient use of the existing heating system.

Is it suggested to acid flush or Fernox style flushing prior to the installation? If so, is there a rental powerflusher that can be used and any suggestions on acid levels. I understand there is some risk/dangers with acid flushing, but i want to make sure the job is done right and safely.

Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
.... A lot of calcium and lime build up occurred on the units. ...
Thanks!

If everything is copper I doubt there is any build up though you might find some slime inside the pipe. After the heating system is opened, put a fitting of some kind and run clean water from a garden hose. The heating contractor should know if there could be a problem since it can impact the warranty if it is believed that the heating system has blockage. If you have cast iron radiators or iron pipes, then there could be a build up but you stated everything is copper.

Last edited:

Bgard

Reaction score
Most of the time the calcium only form in the area of highest temperature and lowest velocity, ie the boiler. If there is anything in the rest of The system you can circulate white vinager through it with a small utility pump and a five gallon bucket

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks