Malfunctioning Rain Bird ESP-me controller

Users who are viewing this thread

gardengloves

Reaction score
Hi. I have a Rain Bird ESP-me controller for our irrigation system. The installer set up 4 programs for the 7 stations. Occasionally the controller malfunctions and starts program D when program C starts up, and vice versa. I've reset the start times and days such that C and D are not set to start on the same days or times, however they still start together. This seems to occur after I've used a Manual Station start and then revert to Autorun. Any ideas about this problem and how I can fix it? Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Before you go from a Manual run to Auto, turn the dial to Off so that it is sure the manual run has been completely cancelled. There could be a software bug so a call to Rainbird may help but be sure that the duration on one program does not overrun the start time of the next program. The manual states only one program can run at a time. Another possibility is the module that connects to the sprinkler valves may have a bad circuit that turns on two zones at the same time.
i.e. Program C runs zone 6, program D runs zone 7. When zone 7 is turned on only zone seven works. When zone 6 turns on, zone 7 also turns on because of a defective module.

I'm experienced with Hunter commercial units and I have found that when operating zones manually, it may take a minute or two before the previous zone that was running completely shuts down after the next zone was activated all controlled by the computer so if the pump is running between zones changes that pressure has somewhere to go. You do not want to run the pump with all of the valves closed.

gardengloves

Reaction score
Before you go from a Manual run to Auto, turn the dial to Off so that it is sure the manual run has been completely cancelled. There could be a software bug so a call to Rainbird may help but be sure that the duration on one program does not overrun the start time of the next program. The manual states only one program can run at a time. Another possibility is the module that connects to the sprinkler valves may have a bad circuit that turns on two zones at the same time.
i.e. Program C runs zone 6, program D runs zone 7. When zone 7 is turned on only zone seven works. When zone 6 turns on, zone 7 also turns on because of a defective module.

I'm experienced with Hunter commercial units and I have found that when operating zones manually, it may take a minute or two before the previous zone that was running completely shuts down after the next zone was activated all controlled by the computer so if the pump is running between zones changes that pressure has somewhere to go. You do not want to run the pump with all of the valves closed.

Thanks for your suggestions. The installation company came today and found a faulty wire in the control box; let's hope that solves it and I don't get charged for the work! I will definitely follow your sound advise about turning to Off after a manual watering, before returning to Auto. Cheers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks