Retention Tank Vacuum Relief

Users who are viewing this thread

Asmart82

Reaction score
What should I do to stop my retention tank from collapsing when I drain it or if there is no pressure from my pump but water is coming out due to gravity?

I have tried to find a vacuum breaker for PVC but everything I find looks strange to me so I am not sure what to get or how it works.

Reach4

Reaction score
Take a look at Watts LFN36-M1

watts-lfn36-instructions.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Do not over-torque. Probably no wrench needed. I would use pipe dope or teflon tape.

When over-torquing into a schedule 40 female thread, you could split it.

Asmart82

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_20160928_153311.jpg
    IMG_20160928_153311.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 704

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A pressure relief valve is not going to let air in the tank. Just put a tee in the line to the top of the tank. On that tee put a check valve with the arrow pointing towards the retention tank. The check valve in this direction will not let water out, but will let air in when under vacuum.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'd use a footvalve rather than a checkvalve. They do the same thing but the footvalve has an inlet screen to keep stuff out.

Also, a some checkvalves rely on gravity to close. Make sure the valve is a spring loaded type.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I'd use a footvalve rather than a checkvalve. They do the same thing but the footvalve has an inlet screen to keep stuff out.

Also, a some checkvalves rely on gravity to close. Make sure the valve is a spring loaded type.

Good points. The screen on a footvalve is also not small enough to keep the bugs out. Probably should wrap a window screen over the foot valve or inlet to a check valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that a Clack RT120? Then one connection on top is labeled "Upflow Inlet", and that is connected to the dip tube. That I think is where the vacuum breaker is. The other port is the output, and is labeled "Downflow Inlet". I am trying to think if there would be an advantage to connecting the vacuum breaker to one port or the other, but I can't figure a significant advantage.

I still can't drain my retention tank without it collapsing.
Are you referring to opening the blow down port to drain sediment away? That would normally be done with the tank under pressure, with the pump kicking on as the pressure dropped.

If you were draining it empty with the pump off, the vacuum breaker should let the air in. I see the price of vacuum breakers increases quickly with size. Still, I would think that your 3/4 vacuum breaker should be able to admit air as quickly as you could drain water out. I don't know what causes your problem, unless your vacuum breaker is defective. Did you suck on it to see if it admitted air?

You need to protect those unpainted tanks, softener controller, and the PVC pipe from UV with a cover or paint.

clack-retention-tank.jpg

Last edited:

MrTelco1948

Reaction score
Saw a setup that had a drain valve after the tank output on top that was opened when filling tank and also opened when draining tank through the blowdown valve at bottom of tank. Tank was isolated with ball valves that served as a bypass when draining tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks