Need to find 5 gallon flush toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I dump them, because we are selling so mainy "new" toilets. I don't know what others do. I have had a few people over the years ask on the phone about buying a good "used" toilet.
It's pretty funny really, because when people have spent good money for the replacement, you can imagine how bad the old one was. They have been glad to be rid of them.
The first thing I did when I moved in here, was to pull all the old toilets. And frankly I remember dating a woman, and after a bit I asked if I could replace hers. Actually, I have done that before. It must be a habit of mine. I'm so used to installing new stuff, that I do it in my spare time even.
TOO funny. I do the same thing. I've replaced my parents' and my sister's and also numerous friends. My parents had 1963 Kohler Wellworths that still worked great but one was pink and the other blue. My sister had 1993 Mansfields and I'll leave that at that. I replace my own every time something new on the market appeals to me and donate what's being replaced to Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I'm beginning to wonder if, in my case, it's hobby or obsession! LOL!

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like everybody's tap dancing around the real issue here: just how many truck drivers you got living there?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What state do you live in? On some, it's illegal to install, sell, import any toilet, new or used, into the state unless it meets current water use requirements.

By no means are all toilets created equal, and many older, high volume ones, do not really work as well. The functional difference may be that with all of that water, you may 'erase' more skid marks, but some of the newest designs work quite well at those, too.

Reach4

Reaction score
What state do you live in? On some, it's illegal to install, sell, import any toilet, new or used, into the state unless it meets current water use requirements.
He posted his request in 2009. I suspect he has his toilet acquisition accomplished.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
WhooooooooooooooooooolgimmiefivegimmiefivegimmiefivegimmiesixgimmiesixdIhearsevengimmiesevengimmieseven............

MARK TRICE

Reaction score
My goal this week is to find (3) ADA toilets that i can convert to 3 gal and above. I have Kohler pressure assist in there now. I have two restaurants that i service. They never had a sewer back up until i put the kitchen waste on a Grease Interceptor. Now the sanitary system has no other water on it other than the restrooms. The toilets never plug, its down the line more. As far as saving water. There are so many other ways we could save water. picking toilets to save the planet was a big mistake. These restaurant owners stick garden hoses down the toilets before a busy night and let them run for an hour. LOL

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They never had a sewer back up until i put the kitchen waste on a Grease Interceptor.

Most restaurants are using something like Bio-Clean on a regular basis to get rid of the grease in the pipes. The city of Bellevue requires restaurants to do that so that their main lines don't fill with grease.
I once snaked a KFC in the 70's with a backup, and the lines were filled with chicken fat. It was disgusting.

Bio-Clean
Within an hour after pouring the bacteria into the drain, the bacteria begin to eat their way into the waste that has accumulated on the sides and top of the drain pipe. This is their natural food. They digest the waste and spread throughout your system, cleaning it completely.

If you're a restaurant, remember that all that grease you putting in the lines just keeps on causing problems further down the line unless you do something about it. Are they skimming and cleaning out the grease interceptor on a regular basis?

DrainTheMaineVein

Reaction score
Great forum!

My home is an 1880s farmhouse, and I have a 3.5 gpf Homart 1950s forward trap unit. It flushes like a dream... super-fast, and I've NEVER had to use a plunger (not even sure where one is in this house...).

The problem is: the base is heavily cracked. Anyone know of a healthy one about?

I'd lop off a pinky to find a replacement, or even just a base! It's white.

(BTW: I know several low-gpf units in homes we've worked in and/or maintain as seasonal rentals... and most of them are finicky shite. Just sayin'. I'd rather keep the oldie-but-a-goodie I have if possible....)

Cheers and best,
T

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The first iteration of 1.6g, and even some of the older 3.5g ones were simply restricted 5g designs...they did not work well.

Most of the current ones do work, and there are even some 1.2g and 1.0g ones that work.

In some places, it's illegal to install one that uses more than 1.6g, but I don't know if Maine is one of those states. But, you probably won't be getting a plumbing permit. FWIW, by refilling 5g, in the summer if it's humid out, the thing probably sweats...that doesn't happen much, if at all, on the new ones. The tank holds more than the 1.6g but it doesn't flush it all, thus mixing some room temp water with the incoming cold, limiting condensation. Now, if you flush it repeatedly, it could still happen as it wouldn't get a chance to warm the water up.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Why would a 5 gal toilet plug up more often than a 1.28 gallon toilet? The pressure from 5 gallons must be stronger than using far less water.

I do not understand you where you get more "pressure "

Volume yes pressure no

There are plenty of 5 GPF toilets available and the only logical reason to consider one is if of the toilet or tank broke and you needed the same color

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I dump them, because we are selling so many "new" toilets. I don't know what others do. I have had a few people over the years ask on the phone about buying a good "used" toilet.
It's pretty funny really, because when people have spent good money for the replacement, you can imagine how bad the old one was. They have been glad to be rid of them.
The first thing I did when I moved in here, was to pull all the old toilets. And frankly I remember dating a woman, and after a bit I asked if I could replace hers. Actually, I have done that before. It must be a habit of mine. I'm so used to installing new stuff, that I do it in my spare time even.

During the NYC greater toilet change out we had to bring the toilets to a location to get a receipt (larger jobs) to prove we did replace them

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A better designed 1.6g toilet tends to have a taller tank, and does not empty it. Just like in a water tower, that additional height helps with the flush. Gravity and acceleration are the same, but since it falls further, that helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks