Toilet flange and hole for Toto Clayton

Users who are viewing this thread

TaylorG

Reaction score
I am prepping to tile the floor of a bathroom where I will be installing a Toto Clayton. This project started back when Calvin Coolidge was in the White House, and the plumber that did the rough-in has long since moved on.

The plumber that was, installed a 3" drain. The piping is PVC. There's a 3" pipe sticking out of the floor, marking the spot. The floor has two layers of 3/4" plywood, about 3/4" of SLC, and a crack isolation membrane (Nobleseal CIS). I plan to tile and then install the flange on the tiled floor. I have drill bits that will go through porcelain tile. I do not have access from below.

When I started checking out toilet flanges in the Big Box store, I noticed that the ones that adapt from 3" to 4" have a hub underneath that goes over the 3" pipe. The OD of this hub is about 4", wider than the hole that is currently in the floor. I'm not terribly excited about a hub that goes over a waste pipe anyway, I'd prefer that it goes into the pipe, as I've seen for 4" pipes.

So questions:
1. Should I widen that hole for the OD of the hub on the 3"-to-4" toilet flange? It will no doubt make an almighty mess, and leave less support on the tiled floor for the flange.
2. Is it possible to get a flange that goes into, rather than over, a 3" pipe?
3. Are there any other gotchas I should watch out for? I've already found one post here where someone claims that Toto recommended installing the flange flush with the finish floor, I'm inclined to ignore that.

Thanks for any help.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am prepping to tile the floor of a bathroom where I will be installing a Toto Clayton. This project started back when Calvin Coolidge was in the White House, and the plumber that did the rough-in has long since moved on.

The plumber that was, installed a 3" drain. The piping is PVC. There's a 3" pipe sticking out of the floor, marking the spot. The floor has two layers of 3/4" plywood, about 3/4" of SLC, and a crack isolation membrane (Nobleseal CIS). I plan to tile and then install the flange on the tiled floor. I have drill bits that will go through porcelain tile. I do not have access from below.

When I started checking out toilet flanges in the Big Box store, I noticed that the ones that adapt from 3" to 4" have a hub underneath that goes over the 3" pipe. The OD of this hub is about 4", wider than the hole that is currently in the floor. I'm not terribly excited about a hub that goes over a waste pipe anyway, I'd prefer that it goes into the pipe, as I've seen for 4" pipes.

So questions:
1. Should I widen that hole for the OD of the hub on the 3"-to-4" toilet flange? It will no doubt make an almighty mess, and leave less support on the tiled floor for the flange.
2. Is it possible to get a flange that goes into, rather than over, a 3" pipe?
3. Are there any other gotchas I should watch out for? I've already found one post here where someone claims that Toto recommended installing the flange flush with the finish floor, I'm inclined to ignore that.

Thanks for any help.
1. That would be good. An outside fit 3 inch flange gives a full bore passage way. Cutting big porcelain tiles would be very hard. If they were small, then you could remove tiles.
2. Yes. There are a lot of inside fit 3 inch closet flanges. But finding one with a stainless ring is harder. If you glue one in, I would make sure I got one with a stainless steel ring, such as Sioux Chief 888-PM or 888-PTM . If I accepted a plastic ring, I would consider the Sioux Chief 888-GPM Push-tite flange. It uses gasket rings rather than glue. So it would be easily replaceable if the plastic ring failed.

sioux_chief_888-gpm.jpg

3. The bottom of the flange ring normally sits atop (flush with) the finished floor. The top of the flange ring would be the thickness of the flange ring above the floor. There are ways of dealing with recessed flanges, but it is better to not be recessed.

http://www.totousa.com/filemanager_uploads/product_assets/SS-00165_CST784SF.pdf is the Clayton datasheet.

Last edited by a moderator:

TaylorG

Reaction score
1. That would be good. An outside fit 3 inch flange gives a full bore passage way. Cutting big porcelain tiles would be very hard. If they were small, then you could remove tiles.
The tiles aren't down yet, they are 12"x12". I hear you on the "full bore", but Terry's post below makes me think I'd rather go with in-rather-than-over flange.
2. Yes. There are a lot of inside fit 3 inch closet flanges. But finding one with a stainless ring is harder.
I can wait for Mr UPS to deliver the right kind of flange, if I can't find it locally. I definitely won't go plastic.

3. The bottom of the flange ring normally sits atop (flush with) the finished floor.
Yeah, maybe that's what Toto meant. I've read enough posts here to know to put the flange above the files.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks