Clay pipe in Chicago basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Aaron773

Reaction score
hi everyone, needing advise from someone who is knowledgeable about Chicagos strict plumbing code. All others need not reply. I'm replacing what a previous home owner did under ground in Chicago basement. They replaced 10' of 6" clay with 4" pvc and tapped into it for a bath. The hole is already dug up so I want to rip all the pvc out and replace with 6" clay as original. Can I do clay all the way up with a 90 and just stay below the concrete line and then lead in a 4" cast iron on top of the clay pipe? Or do I need to install cast iron directly at the 6" clay city line? full plan is to add the 6" x 4" clay wye, then add another 4" clay wye so I can stub up two clay 4" 90's. From there I'm going to lead in two cast iron stub ups and continue on with pvc. One of the stub ups will be for 1st floor bath and the 2nd stub up will be for other basement fixtures I.e new bath, laundry room, kitchen. Let me know if I can do the majority with clay. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Only a Masochist, (or an idiot), would use clay pipe INSIDE a basement, these days, much less a 6" clay pipe. But since 6" pipe was VERY rare for anything other than an apartment building, you are probably measuring the outside of a 4" clay pipe. Do NOT use ANY clay pipe or fittings.

Aaron773

Reaction score
Only a Masochist, (or an idiot), would use clay pipe INSIDE a basement, these days, much less a 6" clay pipe. But since 6" pipe was VERY rare for anything other than an apartment building, you are probably measuring the outside of a 4" clay pipe. Do NOT use ANY clay pipe or fittings.

yes, it's an apartment building that was once a single family home. You sure you know Chicago? 6" clay is everywhere! Are you familiar with Chicago plumbing code?

Aaron773

Reaction score
hj was from Chicago. That's where he first learned plumbing.
thank you for your reply Terry and thank you for creating this amazing forum. The response by HJ could have fooled me. I'm not sure how his reply is at all helpful to my question. It seemed to me that he is only hear to badger hardworking people who are trying to make the best out of an unfortunate situation and I quote " Only a Masochist, (or an idiot), would use clay pipe INSIDE a basement, these days, much less a 6" clay pipe." Yes, really helpful. His statement is completely subjective and does not offer any facts which is why I trusted my post here. Perhaps a little consideration can be extended before your moderators reply back with such statements. Have a nice day Terry and Best wishes on your site.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, really helpful. His statement is completely subjective and does not offer any facts which is why I trusted my post here.

Hj is not gentle at breaking the bad news. He would probably not make a good grief councilor. Would something more subtle have gotten the message through better?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I was brusque, because I would not want you to go down the path of using clay pipe. 4" clay was the largest size NECESSARY for a residence or small apartment complex. You want to cut the clay pipe and IMMEDIATELY transition to the new material. There is NO clay to clay pipe connection that is root proof or leak proof, PERIOD.

Rich Franklin

Reaction score
hi everyone, needing advise from someone who is knowledgeable about Chicagos strict plumbing code. All others need not reply. I'm replacing what a previous home owner did under ground in Chicago basement. They replaced 10' of 6" clay with 4" pvc and tapped into it for a bath. The hole is already dug up so I want to rip all the pvc out and replace with 6" clay as original. Can I do clay all the way up with a 90 and just stay below the concrete line and then lead in a 4" cast iron on top of the clay pipe? Or do I need to install cast iron directly at the 6" clay city line? full plan is to add the 6" x 4" clay wye, then add another 4" clay wye so I can stub up two clay 4" 90's. From there I'm going to lead in two cast iron stub ups and continue on with pvc. One of the stub ups will be for 1st floor bath and the 2nd stub up will be for other basement fixtures I.e new bath, laundry room, kitchen. Let me know if I can do the majority with clay. Thanks everyone.

In Chicago, code stares that all underground sewer lines installed are now to be cast iron in retrofits or in New installation. However, you should be able to replace the existing PVC with tile as that was an illegal install of pipeline. Moreover, if you have questions call the City a sewer department and ask, they are there to help. Don't forget to get a permit!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks