Adding bathroom electrical outlets

Users who are viewing this thread

overlandsea

Reaction score
Question about adding bathroom outlets:

Current setup: House built in 1997. 2 bath upstairs, half bath downstairs. All 3 are on a single 15 amp circuit, which was code at that time. Jurisdiction is WA state L&I (county doesn't do electrical) which uses NEC 2014.

What I need to do: Updating downstairs bath to full bath. Need to move the outlet to do so. I know that I must upgrade this to 20 amp then so that this updated space is up to current code.

What I would like to do: Run 12 gauge THHN wire through 1/2" PVC conduit around outside of house from 20 amp breaker in box (have free circuit already). I would like to run it to one of the upstairs bathrooms first to install a new outlet next to toilet for one of those high tech heated toilet/bidet things from Japan. Then connect NM to the other side of the outlet and fish the NM through the hole for the tub drain, through the ceiling of the half bath directly below, and down wall for outlet in updated downstairs bathroom.

My Questions:

1) Will it pass inspection?

2) Specifically, if I add the 1 outlet in the upstairs bathroom, am I OK to leave the other ones above the vanity on the 15 amp circuit already there, or is that enough of an alteration that I'm obligated to upgrade them to the 20 amp circuit as well?

Stuff

Reaction score
1) Probably as nothing obviously violating NEC.
2) Normally adding an outlet/receptacle doesn't trigger a rewire of the rest of the room.

For both you should run it by your inspector first as all codes are local (authority having jurisdiction). And some inspectors make up their own rules.

Reach4

Reaction score
What I would like to do: Run 12 gauge THHN wire through 1/2" PVC conduit around outside of house from 20 amp breaker in box (have free circuit already).
Burying the wire as it goes around the house seems more polished.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not an inspector...if you did what you're planning, if I were one, it would not pass. As I understand things, when you add a circuit, it must meet current codes...those codes to not allow you to feed more than one bathroom with the same circuit, and, it must be GFCI protected, either via a GFCI CB, or a GFCI receptacle. Would what you're proposing work, yes. If you were to extend the existing circuit, it would probably pass, but you're adding one.

overlandsea

Reaction score
1) Probably as nothing obviously violating NEC.
2) Normally adding an outlet/receptacle doesn't trigger a rewire of the rest of the room.

For both you should run it by your inspector first as all codes are local (authority having jurisdiction). And some inspectors make up their own rules.

Thanks for taking the time. Seems like the biggest advice everywhere online is to talk to local inspector. I guess the best way to do this is just call the permit office and ask who the inspector is for my region?

overlandsea

Reaction score
I'm not an inspector...if you did what you're planning, if I were one, it would not pass. As I understand things, when you add a circuit, it must meet current codes...those codes to not allow you to feed more than one bathroom with the same circuit, and, it must be GFCI protected, either via a GFCI CB, or a GFCI receptacle. Would what you're proposing work, yes. If you were to extend the existing circuit, it would probably pass, but you're adding one.

I think what I've read is that you can have all bath outlets on a single 20 amp circuit if there's nothing else like lighting. What I think I've read is that the one circuit per bathroom rule applies only if outlets and lighting are together. Obviously I'm nothing close to an expert as I'm asking here. Just trying to set myself up for success the first time, so I'm asking lots of questions! Maybe someone can clarify. Lighting and fans are already on a separate circuit in my house.

Stuff

Reaction score
Correct. A single 20 amp circuit can supply multiple bathrooms as long as it is for receptacles only. As mentioned, all receptacles need to be GFCI protected.

Outlet is a generic term that includes receptacles and lights.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Whether it is permitted by code or not, having a single 20A circuit feed receps in multiple baths is a very bad idea.
I've lived in a couple of places where that was done, and simultaneous use of hair dryers would cause breaker
tripping with annoying frequency. I am sure the same would apply to some washlets that draw equivalent power.
Equally annoying is having a GFCI recep (or GFCI breaker) in one place controlling a recep in a different
bathroom.

overlandsea

Reaction score
Correct. A single 20 amp circuit can supply multiple bathrooms as long as it is for receptacles only. As mentioned, all receptacles need to be GFCI protected.

Outlet is a generic term that includes receptacles and lights.

Thanks for clarifying on both code and correct vocab

Stuff

Reaction score
Whether it is permitted by code or not, having a single 20A circuit feed receps in multiple baths is a very bad idea.
I've lived in a couple of places where that was done, and simultaneous use of hair dryers would cause breaker
tripping with annoying frequency. I am sure the same would apply to some washlets that draw equivalent power.
Equally annoying is having a GFCI recep (or GFCI breaker) in one place controlling a recep in a different
bathroom.
Good points. Tripping would depend on the washlet. Most draw less than 500 watts or so which would still work with a high end 1800 watt hair dryer (20 amp circuit=2400 watts). A 1500 watt washlet would take a few minutes to trip with a hair dryer on at the same time. If they had a both a curling iron and a hair dryer (don't know why but I have seen it - two curling irons and a hair dryer) the circuit would trip a lot more often.

Definitely use separate GFCI receptacles for each bathroom to keep them independent. Don't connect to the "load" terminals on the first one

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks