Circular Saw tripping GFCI outlets

Users who are viewing this thread

AlGreen

Reaction score
I have a relatively new Skil saw (approximately a year old) that had been working fine when I plugged it into the outlet in my garage. Then I changed out this outlet to a GFCI (per code) and now the saw trips the outlet every time I turn it on. I tried it on a different outside GFCI outlet on a separate circuit and same thing. If I plug the saw into a non-GFCI outlet it works. I plan to bring the saw to a service center tomorrow. Any theories?

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a relatively new Skil saw (approximately a year old) that had been working fine when I plugged it into the outlet in my garage. Then I changed out this outlet to a GFCI (per code) and now the saw trips the outlet every time I turn it on. I tried it on a different outside GFCI outlet on a separate circuit and same thing. If I plug the saw into a non-GFCI outlet it works. I plan to bring the saw to a service center tomorrow. Any theories?
Three-wire plug? If so, see what the resistance is between the ground pin and the other two.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
This GFCI tripping by portable electrical tools is a pretty common thing. It's likely the saw's fault if it trips multiple
GFCI's. Whenever I set up temporary power for a remodeling/construction site, with required GFCI protection, there were invariably some dudes with funky, beat-up tools that would always be tripping the devices. If it were my saw, I'd be asking for a warranty replacement.

AlGreen

Reaction score
I went to the service center this a.m. They tested the saw and said it's leaking current, causing GFCI outlets to trip. It's being fixed under warranty.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The moral to this story is that if a GFCI's test function works, and the thing trips when you run something, that device is very likely defective. I think that on brush-type motors, as they wear, the carbon dust, if it's not well designed, can create a fault path. IF a wire got pinched during assembly or the cord damaged, that could cause problems too. Some people hate the things, but while it takes a certain set of circumstances to hurt you when using an electrical device, if there's no current, there's no problem! GFCI's work.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
I know it wasn't the case this time, but often GFCI nuisance trips are caused by the bare ground wire touching the silver neutral screw somewhere in the circuit. It will work all day long until you add GFCI. As soon as you do it will trip when you put a load on.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know it wasn't the case this time, but often GFCI nuisance trips are caused by the bare ground wire touching the silver neutral screw somewhere in the circuit. It will work all day long until you add GFCI. As soon as you do it will trip when you put a load on.

This is very true, but I don't think "nuisance trip" would apply there, as it is a legitimate function of the GFCI. Nuisance trips are those that occur for no discernable reason, and when there is in fact no "legitimate" reason for the trip. Which happens all too frequently, in my experience, such as a trip occurring because an incandescent light bulb on a different circuit burned out.

BEDriedger

Reaction score
This GFCI tripping by portable electrical tools is a pretty common thing. It's likely the saw's fault if it trips multiple
GFCI's. Whenever I set up temporary power for a remodeling/construction site, with required GFCI protection, there were invariably some dudes with funky, beat-up tools that would always be tripping the devices. If it were my saw, I'd be asking for a warranty replacement.

BEDriedger

Reaction score
Gfi's are tripped by high peak currents. Devices like Skil saws and pumps have high 'inrush currents' and 'stall currents'. They will trip the GFI's on starting. Use another circuit without GFI

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks