Delta RP17453 or RP5836?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmgolob

Reaction score
After research here and over the web in general, its a no brainer that I want a Delta Pull Down Diverter.
The picture below is how I rigged it to install my current leaking generic diverter to be the right depth from the wall.
As you can see, I can start at the 1/2" NPT steel and add whatever is necessary.
I understand the general difference between the 17453 (sweat or thread connection) and the 5836 (slip on with set screw.) However, without holding each in my hand, I have no feel for dimensions, pipe needed, etc.
I'm quite sure I could go either way - So is one better and or easier than the other?.
If choosing, I'd rather have better than easier.

Thanks in advance, Rob

Faucet connection.JPG

Attachments

• Faucet connection.JPG
    Faucet connection.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 474

Reach4

Reaction score
Also see RP17454 which is the same size as RP17453. Here are my notes:
Product Details for the Delta RP17454 6" Tub Spout Diverter Replacement Part

Pull down to divert
Thread onto 1/2" IPS nipple - 5/8" to 1-5/8" from wall surface
Sweat onto 1/2" CWT - 1/4" to 1" from wall surface
RP12307 Adapter assembly included​

Your galvanized nipple looks to be in the right range. While a brass nipple would be better usually, your galvanized may be old enough to have built up a patina.

delta_tub_spout_a1.jpg

delta-rp17453-terrylove-2.jpg

The Delta RP17453 comes with the adapter above and threads on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tjk

Rmgolob

Reaction score
Thank you .
The 17454 is the same, except that the spout is metal instead of plastic?

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Old galvanized may have a coating of minerals or whatever to not give you rusty water. I put in a new galvanized nipple on a spout, and had rusty water out of the spout in a week. I replaced it with brass. No rust, despite the water having gone through some old galvanized. I attribute that non-rusty-water to a coating, inside the pipe ,with age, which I called a patina.

tjk

Reaction score
Also see RP17454 which is the same size as RP17453. Here are my notes:
Product Details for the Delta RP17454 6" Tub Spout Diverter Replacement Part

Pull down to divert
Thread onto 1/2" IPS nipple - 5/8" to 1-5/8" from wall surface
Sweat onto 1/2" CWT - 1/4" to 1" from wall surface
RP12307 Adapter assembly included​

Your galvanized nipple looks to be in the right range. While a brass nipple would be better usually, your galvanized may be old enough to have built up a patina.

delta_tub_spout_a1.jpg

Hi,

I've been looking all over for the easiest way to attach the RP17453 with the RP12307 adapter to the copper pipe sticking out of the wall (my copper pipe sticks out exactly 4").

This picture almost does it for me. What I can't tell is where to solder the adapter onto the 1/2" copper pipe. It looks like the end with the rubber O-ring on it? But that doesn't look like solder, so I'm not sure.

Also, I'm a novice at sweating (I've done a few copper to copper joints with a propane torch); any tips for sweating this brass adapter to the copper pipe?

Finally, you said "Sweat onto 1/2" CWT - 1/4" to 1" from wall surface;" so it's the threaded end that needs to be that far from the wall?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me!

tjk

Reach4

Reaction score
I've been looking all over for the easiest way to attach the RP17453 with the RP12307 adapter to the copper pipe sticking out of the wall (my copper pipe sticks out exactly 4").

This picture almost does it for me. What I can't tell is where to solder the adapter onto the 1/2" copper pipe. It looks like the end with the rubber O-ring on it? But that doesn't look like solder, so I'm not sure.

https://www.deltafaucet.com/files/live/sites/delta/files/customer-service/FAQs/Tub spout install.pdf

I think you pick the O-ring off, and then solder that end. Then put the O-ring back after it cools.
Yes... step C-1 and C-7.

Midway between 1/4 inch and 1 inch is 5/8 inch, so I would shoot for that.

Reactions: tjk
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks