My new Clack WS1-CS setting

Users who are viewing this thread

Tony Hwang

Reaction score
Hello, all
Long time lurker, first time posting. I am a retired EE who spent most my career with Honeywell.
We replaced aging Kenmore with a two tank with 1.5 cubit foot resin tank with Clack WS1-CS control
valve.
Our dwelling has 3 adults, water hardness is 19 Grain, No other trace of minerals. After connecting the
unit, I set it up with this numbers.

Regen Override: 8 days
Program : P9
Capacity : 30K
Salt setting : 12 Lbs.

Hach 5B test shows hardness is less than 1 Grain.

Unit put into service at end of April since regenerated twice.
I also installed Res care drip bottle (half Oz. wick).
Keep wondering if there is something to change to improve?
TIA,
Tony

Bannerman

Reaction score
Well water or municipal?

A 12 lb salt dose in a 1.5 cuft should provide 36K grains usable capacity instead of 30K. If a municipal supply, the water will be chlorinated so iron will not be a factor so regeneration does not need to be frequent. If there is no iron, the override setting could be increased to as high as 30 days without concern.

A hardness test in a municipal supply is a snapshot at that moment as hardness can vary throughout the distribution system depending on time of day demands, seasonal variances and if any wells are shut down for service. It is generally recommended to program about 2 grains additional hardness than tested to anticipate increased hardness at certain times.

Was the Res Care drip installed for any particular concern or only as preventative maintenance?

Tony Hwang

Reaction score
Well water or municipal?

A 12 lb salt dose in a 1.5 cuft should provide 36K grains usable capacity instead of 30K. If a municipal supply, the water will be chlorinated so iron will not be a factor so regeneration does not need to be frequent. If there is no iron, the override setting could be increased to as high as 30 days without concern.

A hardness test in a municipal supply is a snapshot at that moment as hardness can vary throughout the distribution system depending on time of day demands, seasonal variances and if any wells are shut down for service. It is generally recommended to program about 2 grains additional hardness than tested to anticipate increased hardness at certain times.

Was the Res Care drip installed for any particular concern or only as preventative maintenance?

Thanks for the heads up. Water is city water. The hardness is averaged out figure from month to month readings. Should the setting for salt be lesser then or increase the override day setting to 14 days or so? Our average water consumption is 200 gpd or so. Res care bottle just for the PM.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
CS??? Ugh.. :)

It is fine, just didn't think anyone was still selling them. I prefer the EE... anyway...
Set the override to 28, this is just a forced regen should the system not see enough water use for an extended amount of time.

Tony Hwang

Reaction score
CS??? Ugh.. :)

It is fine, just didn't think anyone was still selling them. I prefer the EE... anyway...
Set the override to 28, this is just a forced regen should the system not see enough water use for an extended amount of time.

Thanks, I'll set it to 28 days and see how it does. and will report back.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The hardness setting should be based on the highest hardness level tested, not an average. While residential softeners typically have some excess capacity remaining from cycle to cycle, it is best to use the highest hardness reading and add 2 additional grains to ensure compensation for occasional higher hardness variances.

The Clack WS1 is a metered control so the meter will monitor and communicate the volume of water utilized to the controller which will initiate regeneration based on the capacity and hardness settings programmed.

With 36K capacity and 21 gpg hardness settings, the unit should deliver approx 1714 US gallons between regen cycles vs 1894 gallons when programmed for 19 gpg (minus reserve capacity).

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
EE is the Clack but with fully programmable settings. Clack makes a few different boards with different functions. All of them are very well thought out and work flawlessly. The CS has pre set programs that you chose from. The EE has no "presets", you determine what you want/need each cycle to be.

wymi

Reaction score
Thank you for the fast reply! I'm asking also about the "P" setting. My Clack valve has this setting and it's set at 19, I'm wondering what that setting does. I just rebuilt the internal parts of the valve and it's working great again.

Tony Hwang

Reaction score
Thank you for the fast reply! I'm asking also about the "P" setting. My Clack valve has this setting and it's set at 19, I'm wondering what that setting does. I just rebuilt the internal parts of the valve and it's working great again.

Hi,
Download a manual for WS1-CS manual. In there there is a list of programs for softener mode or filter mode.
It gives preset cycles' duration in minutes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks