Users who are viewing this thread

Gairuntee

Reaction score
This shower valve has me stumped. It's a Delta Multichoice with stops. The top one in the pic is just a diverter. I installed the cartridge for the valve (grey and white cartridge) and it won't shut off. When it's turned it off it just runs and runs. I saw a thread here about this from a few years ago and tried these suggestions: making sure it's seated. Making sure the cartridge springs behind the o rings are in the right position. Making sure the cartridge is twist locked together. Replaced it. Nada.

AND it keeps running when the valve stops are engaged. And no the stop rings didn't get melted by the torch when installing the tub spout. (There was a PEX spout before, put there by a boot leg plumber and it still leaked.) Anyway, It's happening on both of these valves we bought for 2 bathrooms in this house. Any suggestions for making this valve turn off would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

20170505_133530.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have run hot and cold to the diverter.
The diverter should have one inlet, and three outlets. You have a constant feed the way you ran that.

delta_r11000.jpg

bmdc_14.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. WHY do you have a separate diverter when you only have a shower head hooked to it? and,
2. WHY would you connect hot and cold water lines to a diverter which has NO WAY to turn them off? And,
3. The "individual intergral stops" ONLY shut off the water the main lower valve, NOT to the divertere which is improperly installed.

Gairuntee

Reaction score
Hey Terry! That's so obvious it's embarrassing. Plumbing is not my forte. Thanks for answering my question so quickly! Ive been a fan of your site for quite some time now and I'm so excited that you took the time to answer such an obviously dumb question. And you didn't even make fun of me. Haha! Anyway, I redid it and it worked! Thanks! If you ever find yourself in New Orleans, let me know, I'll meet you out and buy you a beer or 3. No, seriously. I will!

20170515_160102.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Nest question is WHY do you even need that diverter, since the one on the tub spout will do the same thing? (p.s., the elbow for the tub spout should be secured.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks