Help Needed Identifying Strange Sewer Cleanout (?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Occidental

Reaction score
Greetings from Oregon!

I could use some help and I think this is the right place.

I noticed what appeared to be a cleanout of some sort while we were clearing an area for a garden at my home. In the process of digging I managed to clobber it with the mattock so I decided to dig out the line because it seemed important to understand where it went. From that I can see it gently slopes downward to a T-connection into our sewer line.

To me it looks like a cleanout, but it seems excessively remote. Especially considering there are other easily accessible cleanouts along the length. Which got me to thinking maybe this has some other purpose?

So I'm hoping someone hoping someone here might be able to identify what possible purpose it serves and if it's just a cleanout, would there be anything wrong with moving it closer to the line. Because in the current location it's very much in the way.

Here's a photo to illustrate what I'm dealing with.

About our Sewer System
We live about 200' away and downhill from the city sewer line so the sewer system itself is a little convoluted. We have a septic tank (legacy from an old septic system) that drains the liquid to another tank with a pump. The pump then pumps the waste up to a point where gravity can take over so that it drains to the city sewer. Along the length there are cleanouts every 75' or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do any neighbors share your line? It does seem odd that the cleanout is so far to the side like that.

Here is a video that shows how to witch for underground pipes.
I look like warmed over death here, as I had been through chemo and raditation and not feeling all that well in 2010, and two major surgeries.
I had just lost 42 pounds in six weeks. The weight is all back now.

Occidental

Reaction score
No, we're the only home on the line. The other closest neighbor is up at the street and they're on a Septic system.

Occidental

Reaction score
It looks like a drain connection for a trailer or rv dump.

That's brilliant, I bet that's exactly what it is. While I don't believe the previous owner had an RV I could imagine the one before him did and having something like that would be super convenient.

I ended up cutting the pipe and moving it about 3' away from the connection point. I had briefly considered just capping it off and now I kind of wish I had. Man I wish I would have thought of that.

Thanks a million!

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Here is a video that shows how to witch for underground pipes.

I thought those divining rods where old farmer's tales for locating where to drill a well, or maybe some sort of witchcraft - but it sure looks like it works.

What force is it reacting to, magnetic force I assume?

Does it work only on metal pipe - or will it work on PVC with water in it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The main "force" with divining rods is "faith that they will work". I have seen areas that looked like a bombed out place in Beirut after diviners got done "finding" pipes, (and they never did until I used my snake to locate them by sound). I am a skeptic and have NEVER seen one locate anything.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
The main "force" with divining rods is "faith that they will work". I have seen areas that looked like a bombed out place in Beirut after diviners got done "finding" pipes, (and they never did until I used my snake to locate them by sound). I am a skeptic and have NEVER seen one locate anything.
It used to work almost perfect for me back in the 80s for finding irrigation pipes around my Mom's small "farm". I think it had something to do with whether or not the old geezer next door that taught me how had drank enough Jack for breakfast that day. For sure it would never stand up to any kind of rigorous scientific testing...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks