Running American Standard toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

JerRob

Reaction score
Toilet.2.jpg

RE: American Standard 4049 toilet. A few days ago I noticed my toilet was running constantly. I talked with someone at the water company and was given some blue dye strips to put in the tank. I did so, and within a few minutes the blue dye was coming into the toilet bowl. The water company said that means the actuator diak is worn, allowing water to leak around it.

The float ball rod attaches to the top of the supply pipe intake valve. When the ball is lifted, the other end pushes down on the valve, shutting the water off. There is a screw if tightened all the way down, depresses the valve and the water stops running. I did this, but about an hour later, the tank was almost empty. This seems to indicate the water company spokesman is right.

A local hardware store has the part, but before I buy it, I'd like to know how the old part is removed. Does it snap off and on?

Also, when checking the actuator, my hands looked like I dipped them in black ink by the time I finished. What is this?

I've attached a photo of the actuator with a red arrow pointing to the disk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The disc is mounted on a ball fitting. It will pull off, and the new one will stick back on the same way.
Black rubber will get all over your hands that way. Red is better.

5103_package.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Two things can happen if you are not VERY careful while working on the tilt flush unit.
1. If you tilt it too far back, the "stop" will break off, ( it looks like it may have already happened), and the valve will NOT close when the water flows out of the tank, and,
2. If you pull the disc too hard, it will snap the ball off the end of the float and you will need a new tilt unit.

as_tilt_valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Two things can happen if you are not VERY careful while working on the tilt flush unit.
1. If you tilt it too far back, the "stop" will break off, ( it looks like it may have already happened), and the valve will NOT close when the water flows out of the tank, and,
2. If you pull the disc too hard, it will snap the ball off the end of the float and you will need a new tilt unit.

Thanks for the tips hj.
It's been a while since I worked on the tilt valve.

JerRob

Reaction score

as_tilt_valve.jpg

JerRob

Reaction score
You said the "stop" could break off. Where is the stop? I just flushed the toilet and when the water drained out, the valve closed ok. Does that mean the "stop" isn't broken?

What is the best way to remove the disk without breaking anything?

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks