Brown In Town - A West Texas Water Crisis

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I drive past Ranger quite often. I20 at Ranger hill is also one of the most dangerous roads in Texas. While lead has gotten the most publicity, it is not the biggest problem. Many cities in Texas are now trying to get their water up to the NEW government standards. Apparently the old standards were not good enough as most people here only live to be 90+ years old. The water quality hasn't changed. The testing has just gotten so much more sensitive, so they can now test for parts per billion where they use to only be able to test to parts per million. We have more problems with the levels of Arsenic and Fluoride. EPA changed the level of Arsenic from 50 ppb to 10 ppb a few years ago. Towns that have had people living to 100 with Arsenic levels of 13-25 now have to wait for grants worth millions of dollars to update their treatment plants to get the level down to 10 ppb.

I am not saying that too much Lead, Arsenic, and Fluoride is not a bad thing. Just that it is being over-sensationalized for media purposes. Most of those people are drinking bottled water because their city water just taste bad, not because they care about the lead level. That I can understand as I hate the taste of chlorinated water. Maybe if they keep the water like it is there will be fewer people xxxx-ing in the shower, so there will be fewer humans to infest the planet and drink up all the good water. :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I give up.

What are you giving up? Does it ship well?
I mention the water story because plumbing is all about water. At some point infrastructure will be needed everywhere. Heck, my home already has a new water service and it's not even that old. The home two doors down replaced their sewer line to the street recently. I used to solder with 50/50 back in the day before switching early over to non-leaded, though as hj mentions, often that all coats over and is fine. Even the Flint water would have been fine if they hadn't changed water sources which took some of the coating off. I will say that the water for the most part has been healthy to drink most places in the U.S. Much better than much of the world that deals with waterborn illnesses. I drink from the tap, unfiltered all the time here.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, I just tried to post a brilliantly amusing post concerning bad stuff in the water, and it hung up and disappeared. I'll try again tomorrow.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My internet has been dropping out in the middle of stuff too. I think maybe the CIA/FBI created a malware and let the Russians hack it. Then the Russians uploaded it so now the CIA can use it to listen to every key stroke and message and make it look like the Russians or Chinese did it. So by the time my post gets sent to Russia and bounces back off to the CIA and finally makes it to the page I intended, it has travel the world a few times, which is why it takes so long and sometimes drops out. But I could also just be full of crap, I don't know what to think anymore. :)

Yeah the pipe was never a problem in Flint. The problem was the government agencies who didn't have enough sense to know to not put caustic or acidic water in those pipes. Pipes can be made out of pure lead if you don't pump acidic or hot water through them. This is common knowledge and those "officials" at Flint should have known better. But instead of putting the blame where is should go, now the rest of us have to endure higher cost and lower quality plumbing and pipe. This will cost all of us billions over the years, when instead they should have just fired the people who didn't know what they were doing and were the actual cause of the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks