Clothes washer backup

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick465

Reaction score
I have a standard washing machine that has drained fine for a long time. Suddenly, its backing up on the drain cycle.
It is not leaking or coming back out the pipe the washer drains into. It comes back out like a vent or something. The house is on a slab and the laundry room is next to the garage. The heating unit and the water heater are in a closet in the garage up on a riser. Under that riser is an open space that pipes and other whatnot go through. In the floor of that space is where the water backs up through a hole or a pipe, I guess. I have a pretty good clean-out in the back where the water goes and the water from the rest of the house (sink, shower, toilet ect) are all fine and flowing. Nothing is getting to the main line out from the washer. I have a snake but the obstruction seems to be past where the line is vented, if it is vented... Is the water backing up through a vent just in the slab and not vented through the roof? How do I fix that?
I hate to call roto-rooter and sure don't want to cut up the slab. Any ideas? What more info might you need?
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a standard washing machine that has drained fine for a long time. Suddenly, its backing up on the drain cycle.
It is not leaking or coming back out the pipe the washer drains into. It comes back out like a vent or something.

That is not clear.

Rick465

Reaction score
I do need to now add that the sink and dishwasher back up the same way. The toilets and showers do not.
And "That is not clear.' Is not clear...

Reach4

Reaction score
And "That is not clear.' Is not clear...
It comes back out like a vent or something.

OK. I understand that It is water. What does it mean for water to "come out like a vent"?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That may make sense if you speak Arkansasese, but in real English "like through a vent" is meaningless. I am going to venture a guess that you have a clogged drain and need to get a plumber

Leonard W. Mendoza

Reaction score
It is looking like you are having a clogged drain and to get it clean you may require to get a plumber for getting it back on working condition.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks