2" extra heavy to 2" pvc

Users who are viewing this thread

Gs1

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm a diy'er with some experience. I've cut out old extra heavy cast iron from my bathroom during a remodel. The cast was almost closed not even a screwdriver would clear it. So I'm trying to join the 2" xhci to 2" pvc. I used a shielded coupling but since the xh cast is so much thicker it distorts the metal band. I'm considering leading in a 2" soil pipe adapter. From my understanding with Illinois code a donut or compression type gasket cannot be inclosed in a wall. So I'm lost at what to do. I've had a licensed plumber look and say that's ok. But it just looks like a leak in the making.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the OD or circumference of the pipe you are having a problem connecting to?

Reach4

Reaction score
You got the rubber over the heavy CI despite the large pipe diameter. I don't picture a leak developing. I am not a plumber. I would leave it.

Out of curiosity, which way is up? You could lead in PVC, and that would be easier if the second photo is the actual orientation. But still, I would not mess with it.

Gs1

Reaction score
You got the rubber over the heavy CI despite the large pipe diameter. I don't picture a leak developing. I am not a plumber. I would leave it.

Out of curiosity, which way is up? You could lead in PVC, and that would be easier if the second photo is the actual orientation. But still, I would not mess with it.
That's probably what I'll do. Though I did find a 4 band shielded coupling. I don't know if the inspector will like it.
It's in the horizontal position.

Gs1

Reaction score
Ok so I did use silicone it is all I had. But just a thin film. I was afraid it would make the rubber slip too much. I did replace the no hub adapter to a medium duty one and I ground down the ridges on the cast. I think I can sleep better now
IMG_0264.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks