New Outlets= Erratic Dimming Power

Users who are viewing this thread

keepingstephen

Reaction score
So, I've just replaced an outlet in my kitchen.

The old one was gnarley and loose bespite being a newer 3 wire 15A. The whole thing went smoothly. Tested the fridge, no problem, power. Then I move onto the stove outlet. Same deal, shitty and old and not in a good location. I install junction box, run 8-3 wire out to new outlet.. Hook up everything, seems simple enough. Done. Flip breaker back on (2 pull 15A each I think) AND complete black out. Flip breaker back off, lights come back on. What the hell did I do?
And now, the lights periodically dim in the kitchen along with whatever is plugged into the outlet that I changed (ie fridge).

I've replaced the outlet with a new one. No dice. Replaced that one with the old one. No dice. Checked my connections and grounds. Unhooked the stove connections. Still nada. Although now the double breaker doesn't cause a total power outage..

I'm loosing my mind trying to figure out what went wrong.
Other cliff notes are that the electrical basebord heaters don't always seem to work. Turned the main on and off and that didn't fix it. Circuit breaker says 100amp

I have an inkling as to whats next but I don't want to influence anyones own ideas. I'll post some videos later if that would help
thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
...I've replaced the outlet with a new one. No dice. Replaced that one with the old one. No dice. Checked my connections and grounds. Unhooked the stove connections. Still nada. Although now the double breaker doesn't cause a total power outage...
thanks

What I get out of your troubleshooting is after replacing the simple three prong outlet for the frig with a new one, every thing was OK. After working on the stove outlet is when things went south. You then removed the new wiring at the juncture box to disconnect the new stove outlet and everything seems to be OK???? Then you replaced the stove outlet with a new one or was it for the frig??? Pictures sure could help.

I assuming you have a three wire 220v stove outlet and you are absolutely sure you had the wiring straight. Now your other problems your seeing is usual if your beaker panel has corrosion or by operating (switching) the old breakers, the problem could be in the breakers themselves. When you say complete blackout, the entire home? Check your GND connection from the breaker panel to a ground rod or pipe and look for any corrosion.

keepingstephen

Reaction score
What I get out of your troubleshooting is after replacing the simple three prong outlet for the frig with a new one, every thing was OK. After working on the stove outlet is when things went south. You then removed the new wiring at the juncture box to disconnect the new stove outlet and everything seems to be OK???? Then you replaced the stove outlet with a new one or was it for the frig??? Pictures sure could help.

I assuming you have a three wire 220v stove outlet and you are absolutely sure you had the wiring straight. Now your other problems your seeing is usual if your beaker panel has corrosion or by operating (switching) the old breakers, the problem could be in the breakers themselves. When you say complete blackout, the entire home? Check your GND connection from the breaker panel to a ground rod or pipe and look for any corrosion.

So the updated status is that the fuse was blown. http://inspectapedia.com/electric/0534s.jpg I replaced it and the stove started working (rewired it etc.). Coincidentally, I thought my outlet had something to do with the stove not working.. Anyway when I redid the rewiring of the outlet, one of the grounds was loose (corrosion in the back of the box). I think the power to the lights was going out because when I pulled the breaker for the stove back on, it cut the one good working 120V line.
Here's a link to my process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks