Eternal GU 100 water heater error code(s)...

Users who are viewing this thread

S. Robinson

Reaction score
I started getting E27 error codes on my Eternal GU 100 water heater and decided to have a look at the offending "mixing valve." Pulling the valve was fairly simple and it appeared to be in good (visual) shape. I ran some vinegar through it and reinstalled it...however...I did not get one of the installation clips on the mixing valve on properly and got a face full of water as soon as I turned on the water.
I fixed the problem quickly and cleaned up the wet case (and my face/clothes). However...now when I turn on the unit I now get an immediate E 01 error code. "Remaining Flame Detected" is says.
This error code persists no matter what I do. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you.

S. Robinson

Reaction score
I started getting E27 error codes on my Eternal GU 100 water heater and decided to have a look at the offending "mixing valve." Pulling the valve was fairly simple and it appeared to be in good (visual) shape. I ran some vinegar through it and reinstalled it...however...I did not get one of the installation clips on the mixing valve on properly and got a face full of water as soon as I turned on the water.
I fixed the problem quickly and cleaned up the wet case (and my face/clothes). However...now when I turn on the unit I now get an immediate E 01 error code. "Remaining Flame Detected" is says.
Thank you.

It would seem that the motherboard got a good charge of water and once it had dried out the unit started to work...no more E01 Error. It proceeded to work for six hours then reverted to the E27 Error again. Again, the mixing valve is as clean as a whistle. Could this valve be faulty and is there any way to check it for operation?
Thanks for the any input with this issue.
-S

S. Robinson

Reaction score
Thank you.

S. Robinson

Reaction score
Update: The Eternal GU 100 water heater decided to start working again. I worked fine for about a week then stopped...showing the Error code E27 once more. Unplugging and re-plugging the unit will sometimes produce an Error 24 (which is still mixing valve related) but for the most part it shows the Error 27 code. I welcome any and all ideas at this point. Thank you!

S. Robinson

Reaction score
you are probably in trouble if you have one of the older Eternal units,, they are out of business
and getting parts will probably be impossible....

I see a new tank type water heater in your future or another brand of tankless
Thank you for your response.
Actually, I was looking for someone that might know something about these units and could possibly be able to offer a suggestion as to how to go about fixing the problem.
As you know, most mechanical problems are fixable and that simply replacing the unit might be a bit rash. You do not replace your automobile when something goes wrong with it do you?
If it is indeed the mixing valve then we may be able to find one and replace it. If it is the controller on the motherboard...then we will replace that. I was simply wondering if anyone has had success in addressing this issue.
...and yes, I am fully aware that this company has withdrawn from selling units in the United States. This is one of the reasons I referred to this venue for help.
Thank you again for your kind input...

-S

Urivan Flores

Reaction score
Hi Robinson,

I got a different Eternal model but the same behavior, the error E27 showed on the unit and un-plug/re-plug used to do the trick, weeks at a time, until the workaround didn't work anymore.

I tried flushing the unit, cleaning the valve and still didn't work. I found a plumbing company in Boston which carried the part WITHOUT warranty, I ordered one and the error E27 still shows, they didn't want to sent another for verification since they claimed it didn't have warranty.

At this moment, when I plug the heater it shows error E24, then after few seconds error E27.

Btw, did you tried removing/cleaning the condensing connection pipe? That is my next move.

Did you use vinegar only on the valve?

Please let me know if you are trying anything new.

Regards,

-U

Last edited:

S. Robinson

Reaction score
Hi Robinson,

I got a different Eternal model but the same behavior, the error E27 showed on the unit and un-plug/re-plug used to do the trick, weeks at a time, until the workaround didn't work anymore.

I tried flushing the unit, cleaning the valve and still didn't work. I found a plumbing company in Boston which carried the part WITHOUT warranty, I ordered one and the error E27 still shows, they didn't want to sent another for verification since they claimed it didn't have warranty.

At this moment, when I plug the heater it shows error E24, then after few seconds error E27.

Btw, did you tried removing/cleaning the condensing connection pipe? That is my next move.

Did you use vinegar only on the valve?

Please let me know if you are trying anything new.

Regards,

-U
Thank you for your kind response. I have removed the mixing valve and flush it with vinegar. The valve looked perfectly fine and the flush job did not seem to help. I too am getting an E24 error followed by the E27 error code. Did you have any success removing and cleaning the condensing pipe? I am not opposed to attempting this.

Best,
-S

Urivan Flores

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind response. I have removed the mixing valve and flush it with vinegar. The valve looked perfectly fine and the flush job did not seem to help. I too am getting an E24 error followed by the E27 error code. Did you have any success removing and cleaning the condensing pipe? I am not opposed to attempting this.

Best,
-S

It did not help, the condensing pipe was clean already.
I decided to open the mixing valve that was originally installed and found the inside board fully corroded and the motor all rusty.
I'm trying next to disassemble the new one, Im inclined to think it is also bad. If that is the case, then at least I will know that the mixing valve IS the problem.

Did you go further with any other solution?

Regards,

Traga

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm faced with the same error code E27. The code clears after powering down for some period but comes back. I've removed the valve to inspect it and found it basically clean. I flushed it and reinstalled but this resulted in the same behavior (E27 comes back).

Have you resolved your issue? Was the replacement valve also disassembled and found rusty?

Thanks,

Fred Phred

Reaction score

Best,
-S
Hi, I'm recently getting the Eternal GU145 E27 Mixing Valve Initialization Failure a few times each day. Took apart and cleaned the valve. Still get the error. I read on some forum the error is related to the circulation pump. I unplugged the circ pump, and NO ERROR! The heater has worked for years with the circ pump and never had a problem. Anyone have any ideas what's going on here? Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks