New acrylic airtub installation, where to put ledger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Installing a Bain Ultra Citt soaker/airbath. Their tech support said a ledger isnt required but I can put one if I want (and, I want!)

Because of the molding, etc, the underside of the deck is pretty rough. Im having trouble figuring out just where to screw the ledger to the surrounding walls. The tub has a built in apron, so I cant "see" through the front of it.

Any tips? I tried guesstimating one end and carrying a level line all the way around, but that didnt work (the guesstimated end is resting on the ledger, the other 2 sides are not)

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I sometimes hold the ledger under the lip of the tub where it's out in the open, and measure down to see my height that I will be setting it at.
What does the bottom of the tub look like?

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
The tub has integrated feet on the bottom. Is a ledger required at that point? I plan on using a mortar bed as well.

I will measure the lip with the tub in the open... My only worry was that the floor isn't level so it would throw of the against the wall measurement but it should be a good starting point

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the tub has feet, and it sits level in the space, you won't need the mortar. I use Mortar if the floor isn't level and I need to shim it.
With a level floor, I sometimes just slide it in, and pin the tile lip with screws after pre-drilling. When the floor isn't level, that's when I consider shims and mortar.

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Thanks again!

I know the floor is out of level...not a whole lot, but definitely requires that the tub be levelled some other way

If using a mortar bed for levelling and overall feel purposes (I dont like how acrylic tubs flex), should I not even bother with a ledger? The tub deck is so small (1.5") you would be hard pressed to step on or put anything on it anyway.

Thanks.

-Chris

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
With feet on the bottom of the tub I wasn't sure if the ledger was there for support. The installation manual doesn't even show installing a ledger, and tech support confirmed I can "if I want to".

The few tubs I've installed myself never had feet on them, so the ledger was the only thing holding up the side opposite the apron.

In my case, where the floor is out of level, should I use the ledger to bring the tub into level and the mortar bed to be the final support under the tub once its resting on the ledger?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In my case, where the floor is out of level, should I use the ledger to bring the tub into level and the mortar bed to be the final support under the tub once its resting on the ledger?

That's what I do in that case. Ledger, shims where needed on apron, and mortar. The mortar needs to be placed in piles that can squish outward. You let the tub do the job of determining the depth of the mortar.

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Thanks again, almost there! Tub is ready to be set in, will do it tomorrow morning.

One last question - for simplicity sake, I only used a ledger on the back wall. Will that suffice? Or should I use them on the end walls as well? One of the end walls I can only get a board about half the width of the tub, because the air inlet is in the way. On the drain end, though, I should be able to get close to full length. I just wasnt sure how important the end walls are compared to the back.

Thanks.

-Chris

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
All set, the tub is in! Thanks again.

One last question - installing the drain basket...use putty or silicone? Its an acrylic tub, manufacturer says silicone works better but Ive seen pros and cons of both. Is it just a preference thing?

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks