Basement bath/laundry DWV diagram. Is it to code?

Users who are viewing this thread

-TH-

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a DIY'er looking to begin work on adding a bath/laundry to our 100 y/o home's basement. Based on some input from another thread, and also tons of research, this is the latest diagram I have come up with.

I live in Zeeland, Michigan so I'm pretty sure we use IPC.

Any advice/corrections that anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dwv sketch #4.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Drain lines that transition from vertical to horizontal need to be long sweeps. This would be the drain from the kitchen, the standpipe and laundry sink. You do have cleanouts above those spots, which is good.

Nice looking drawings. I am not a plumber. There may well be technical shortcomings that I don't know. For example, I have no idea whether your shower vent is great or flawed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Every 135 degrees of change needs a cleanout past the vent and cleanout.
When I do a groundwork, I take that into account. I use as few fittings as possible, and 45 instead of 90's whenever I can.
The 3" line for the toilet needs a 3" cleanout within six feet. Sometimes you can install that where the lav/sink is located.
I would take the first 45 coming down from the toilet and aim that toward the wall on the right of the drawing. That would get rid of a lot of directional changes.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The dry sections of any vent must remain vertical until they are at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture served by the vent.

-TH-

Reaction score
Ok thanks everyone for the input, very helpful.

One question, in the sketch below, is it ok to have the shower and toilet wet vented by the lav. like that (as long as my distances from trap to vent are within code)?

IMAG1439_1.jpg

-TH-

Reaction score
Latest sketch below. I was hoping to avoid running a separate vent for the shower drain across the ceiling like that but I can work with it. The shower drain vent comes off at 45°.

I should have all my bases covered now but please chime in if anything looks not right
dwv sketch #4.0.jpg

Thanks.
TH

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
The dry sections of any vent must remain vertical until they are at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture served by the vent.

Is this a local Wisconsin amendment?

How do you install floor drains in commercial applications?

For example, there may be an installation of a floor drain where the distance from a wall that might be used to place the drain's vent exceeds the trap arm distance. In this installation the vent would have to be placed in a horizontal position until it could turn vertically in the wall.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Is this a local Wisconsin amendment?

How do you install floor drains in commercial applications?

For example, there may be an installation of a floor drain where the distance from a wall that might be used to place the drain's vent exceeds the trap arm distance. In this installation the vent would have to be placed in a horizontal position until it could turn vertically in the wall.

WI has it's own code, so my reply may not mesh with what is permitted elsewhere. In your scenario with a floor drain, the piping is sized to act as a combination drain and vent. You will not find any flat venting here.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
WI has it's own code, so my reply may not mesh with what is permitted elsewhere. In your scenario with a floor drain, the piping is sized to act as a combination drain and vent. You will not find any flat venting here.

Got it. Combination waste and vent systems in California are not permitted unless structural conditions preclude the installation of a conventional system. Even then the system must be approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction. The most common application would be a supermarket where numerous floor sinks are required for drains without the interior walls which would allow standard venting.

Here, significant portions of the vent may be installed horizontally below the flood level rim of the fixture. Of course this vent, until it rises 6 inches above the overflow rim of the fixture, is in fact a drain, in the event of a stoppage. The horizontal portion must be graded back to the drain and drainage sweep fittings are required.

Thank you for your reply Cacher Chick. I enjoy hearing about standard plumbing practices in other parts of the county.

By the way. TH...your diagram above has too many code violations to list. At least by California standards. I would recommend hiring a licensed plumber.

-TH-

Reaction score
By the way. TH...your diagram above has too many code violations to list. At least by California standards. I would recommend hiring a licensed plumber.

Ok thanks. I've revised my sketch again (below). From what I can tell, Michigan uses 2012 IPC with just a few variations. Do you know off hand if any of the california code violations you are referring to would also violate the 2012 IPC?

IMAG1458_1.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I appreciate that you took the time to make a clean drawing and stuck with doing it right. If I were going to intall it, I would run the 3" to end at the closet bend, and a 2" wet vent from the lav would wye in downstream of the closet bend. The way you have drawn it, the lav does not flow enough volume to scour the 3" section of drain below it. If you must have a 3" cleanout vs pulling the toilet, it would go in the wall behind.

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I've revised my sketch again (below). From what I can tell, Michigan uses 2012 IPC with just a few variations. Do you know off hand if any of the california code violations you are referring to would also violate the 2012 IPC?

View attachment 36988[/QUOTE

In California, vents must rise 6 inches above the overflow rim of the fixture before connecting with other vents. We would require an island venting system for your kitchen sink with a foot vent including a vertical wye branch connection. The foot vent would extend above spill rim of the sink before combining with other vents and require a clean out.

-TH-

Reaction score
I appreciate that you took the time to make a clean drawing and stuck with doing it right. If I were going to intall it, I would run the 3" to end at the closet bend, and a 2" wet vent from the lav would wye in downstream of the closet bend. The way you have drawn it, the lav does not flow enough volume to scour the 3" section of drain below it. If you must have a 3" cleanout vs pulling the toilet, it would go in the wall behind.

Thanks I really appreciate the feedback. So would the way I had it on the previous sketch work, with the cleanout on the floor? I might be leaving the walls around the toilet, shower, and lav as bare concrete, so that might work better.

-TH-

Reaction score
In California, vents must rise 6 inches above the overflow rim of the fixture before connecting with other vents. We would require an island venting system for your kitchen sink with a foot vent including a vertical wye branch connection. The foot vent would extend above spill rim of the sink before combining with other vents and require a clean out.
Ok thanks I do appreciate that. So would the sketch below be ok? I think I could run two vent lines over like that. Space is tight, it's a 100 year old house (right now the kitchen sink isn't vented at all).

Btw I would love to hire a local plumber but I just don't have the money (large family, single income). What I do have is time, patience, and a willingness to learn. And I do enjoy working on our house. Thank you again for the input.

IMAG1461_1.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks I really appreciate the feedback. So would the way I had it on the previous sketch work, with the cleanout on the floor? I might be leaving the walls around the toilet, shower, and lav as bare concrete, so that might work better.
Yes, the cleanout in the floor would be good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks