PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! My toliet tank apparently grew and NO LONGER FITS!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Amyjfrerichs

Amy J
Reaction score
Hi,
Hoping to get some help. Had my flooring replaced in the bathroom to a stone. Removed toliet and placed stone, FYI this did NOT change height of flooring at all. Also, the toliet was NOT moved at all, nothing. Had plumber out to replace toliet and do other work. He said he would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it too, the tank will NO LONGER FIT!!!

What in the heck happened?? What do I do?? for now it is put on backward.... please help!

Thanks so much!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What dimension of the tank no longer fits? DOes it hit the wall or something? If the floor isn't in the same plane as it was, if things were close before, and the toilet leaned away from the wall, and now it sits level, or back towards the wall, that could move the tank back, and not allow it to fit. With most toilets and toilet flanges, you have about a 3/8" fudge factor where you can 'cheat' the toilet forward away from the wall, and that might help.

If the tank was removed, and now is being reinstalled onto the bowl, make sure that when you tighten the bolts, it is sitting plumb and not leaning back.

Amyjfrerichs

Amy J
Reaction score
What dimension of the tank no longer fits? DOes it hit the wall or something? If the floor isn't in the same plane as it was, if things were close before, and the toilet leaned away from the wall, and now it sits level, or back towards the wall, that could move the tank back, and not allow it to fit. With most toilets and toilet flanges, you have about a 3/8" fudge factor where you can 'cheat' the toilet forward away from the wall, and that might help.

If the tank was removed, and now is being reinstalled onto the bowl, make sure that when you tighten the bolts, it is sitting plumb and not leaning back.

Jim,
Thank you SOOO much. I am pretty steamed, you know I have been living with a backwards toliet tank for TWO YEARS because of this. Every time a guest had to use the bathroom they always came out asking "How do I flush the toliet?".

Well, since my fill valve needed replacing today I decided to take the tank off and see what was what. So, after I posted this I went back to replace the tank parts and with all the water I took off tank and figured I would take off the screws to the toliet bowl on floor and just SEE if I could shimmy it the tiniest bit so it would come forward and tank would fit again. Low and behold IT WORKED!!!

I really can NOT believe I paid a PRO for that and he didn't think of it, thanks so much for your help! Finally my bathroom is COMPLETED!

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Be aware that by moving the toilet may have broken the "wax sealing ring" between toilet and flange. Or maybe it didn't if movement was very minimal (like you just slide toilet 1/2 inch and didn't lift it). If you start to smell any sewer gas, you'll just need to remove toilet, install a new wax ring (or one of those waxless rings), and reinstall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks