Question about Ceiling Fan wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Cephus

Reaction score
Bought a new house 4 months ago and one of the first things I noticed is that the old owners had used a non-ceiling fan rated plastic box, which had broken. So I took down the fan and planned to replace the box and reinstall it relatively quickly.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Work got in the way and the fan sat in the garage for a couple of months. I had taken a picture of the wiring, but that phone died a cruel death and was replaced, hence I am without a wiring picture.

So today, I put in the new fan-rated metal box, installed all of the hangers, and got ready to rehang the fan, when I noticed that there was no ground at all coming off of the fan itself. This is a modern fan, installed in a modern house, but it has three wires coming out, blue, white and black. The wires in the ceiling are red, white, black and ground. I'm connecting red to blue, white to white and black to black, I'm just a little concerned that there is nowhere to connect the ground to the fan itself. I've searched online and everyone only talks about having no ground in the ceiling, not having no ground in the fan itself. Is this something I should be concerned about or is the white carrying the ground?

And no, I'm not replacing the fan, it matches every other fan in the house. It worked fine before and I'm sure it will work fine again.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd screw the ground wire in the box TO the box (the box will likely have a hole designed for that), then, the screws holding the fan in place and the body of the fan itself will provide a ground. I'm assuming (and you know what that means!) that your fan has a light fixture in it? That is what the third wire is for.

Cephus

Reaction score
I'd screw the ground wire in the box TO the box (the box will likely have a hole designed for that), then, the screws holding the fan in place and the body of the fan itself will provide a ground. I'm assuming (and you know what that means!) that your fan has a light fixture in it? That is what the third wire is for.

Yes, that's what the blue wire is for. I already grounded the ceiling ground to the hanger, which had a spot for it, and that's grounded to the box. I think I'm fine, I just wanted to make sure before I went and did anything.

Thanks.

Cephus

Reaction score
And unfortunately, wiring it that way produces zero power, even though I've tested the leads and know they are good. Hmmm.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If the fan is hanging from a short pipe, there would be a green wire screwed to the pipe, then it be connected the green wire or bare copper wire from the ceiling box. For a hugger fan or flush mount, then ground would usually go through the screw connections.

Cephus

Reaction score
If the fan is hanging from a short pipe, there would be a green wire screwed to the pipe, then it be connected the green wire or bare copper wire from the ceiling box. For a hugger fan or flush mount, then ground would usually go through the screw connections.

It's not. The mount is made for one of those ball-type hangers, but this fan just screws into the side of the mount and doesn't use the hanger at all.

Cephus

Reaction score
I disassembled another fan to see how it was wired, the red wire was not even present in others, they just had the light wire bundled to the hots, I did that and it worked just fine. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks