What to do with sewer cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris M

Reaction score
I'm planning how I'd like to remodel this bathroom, but am not sure what to do with the sewer clean out that is in the way. There is a stairwell behind it, and an exterior poured concrete wall to the side. This is in the basement of a 1950s house. What are my options? Moving it seems like a lot of work, but I think that might be my only option. If I were to move it, where would be the best place?

I'll be doing most of this remodel myself, but may end up hiring out this piece. Before I go down that route, I'd like to have a better idea of what my options are.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

IMG_20161109_072917.jpg
IMG_20161109_072904.jpg

Chris M

Reaction score
Here are some pictures before the demolition. We bought the house several months back. It looks like the previous owner intended to install a shower, but never did.

IMG_20160818_091115.jpg
IMG_20160818_091130.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
It looks like it's in the shower area. Can you build out the wall or make a 2x4 ledge/wall (a footstool or shelf or bench) to hide it? Of course if you ever need to access the clean out you'd have a problem.
There is no harm in having that cleanout in the shower area as long as you can seal around it. Sometimes we have to live/work with what we're given. IMO

Chris M

Reaction score
Yes, it's in the shower area. Just leaving it there an sealing around it may be my best bet. But, once I get a shower in there, I'm not sure if there will be enough clearance for rodding (I believe the IPC says I need 18" ?).

Could I put in a new fitting rotated 90 degrees clockwise, go through the foundation wall and then have an exterior cleanout?

Thanks again,
Chris

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Seattle, it's UPC code.
Yes, you can can an outside cleanout. Is this on a slab? Or do you have a crawl below?
If it's slab, then using a santee pointed outside may be good. It looks like you will be breaking up the floor there.

Chris M

Reaction score
It's on a slab in the basement, with a pored concrete exterior wall/foundation. An outside clean out wouldn't be trivial.

Terry, it looks like you are in my area! If I end up moving forward with this I'll be sure to give you a call.

Thanks,
Chris

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can have an outside cleanout in the ground, and keep it out of the wall if that works.
Then you could just snake from over what is there now and keep the concrete intact.

Last edited:

DaveHo

Reaction score
What about adding a second clean-out above the existing one pointed 180 degrees the other way? Cover over the existing one. Seems you have room on the other side of the wall. Does that meet code?

Chris M

Reaction score
That's a good idea. The basement stairs are on the other side of the wall, so it would be a bit unsightly. It might be worth it though.

Thank you for all of your ideas and suggestions. You've giving me lots to think about.

Thanks,
Chris

DaveHo

Reaction score
If you have room, build out the wall so the clean out is inside the wall cavity. Add one of those plastic access panels to get to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks