Chicago sewer under and thru concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

Captain James

Reaction score
First post - Property owner looking to make sure work in house done properly to code. Need sewer repairs under concrete floor (collapsed clay tile), and removal of abandoned floor penetrations (old stack, old LT, etc.).

My understanding is that cast iron pipe is ok thru concrete, as clay tile is only ok for under concrete and pvc only ok for above concrete?

New sewers will be clay, then iron for floor penetrations, then adapt to pvc as needed above floor?

What about green sdr 35 pipe? Can plumbers use plastic sewer pipe adapted to clay? If so is the floor penetration still done with iron?

Lastly, with all this considered, how can I install a backwater/check valve in the basement floor? What material should it be? (house is up against sidewalk so can't put backwater in yard)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Clay is NOT approved for under concrete inside a building, and if you install a BWV in a clay sewer it will just force it to leak under the floor and possibly destroy the concrete floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
Even clay in the yard is going to be invaded by roots. At least it will not be covered by concrete when it comes time to be replaced with PVC.

J.w.

Reaction score
First post - Property owner looking to make sure work in house done properly to code. Need sewer repairs under concrete floor (collapsed clay tile), and removal of abandoned floor penetrations (old stack, old LT, etc.).

My understanding is that cast iron pipe is ok thru concrete, as clay tile is only ok for under concrete and pvc only ok for above concrete?

New sewers will be clay, then iron for floor penetrations, then adapt to pvc as needed above floor?

What about green sdr 35 pipe? Can plumbers use plastic sewer pipe adapted to clay? If so is the floor penetration still done with iron?

Lastly, with all this considered, how can I install a backwater/check valve in the basement floor? What material should it be? (house is up against sidewalk so can't put backwater in yard)

J.w.

Reaction score
New.pilot.program for pvc and alternative I'll approved plumbing codes
Permit request for Chicago oct17 -12/18

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks