Which way do faucet knobs turn?

Users who are viewing this thread

eagleeye

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what is the correct direction for the hot and cold faucet knobs to turn on/off. This is for my bathroom sink. It's a Delta faucet and the hot and cold knobs are round.

I always thought hot was clockwise, and cold was counterclockwise.

Seems like a simple question, but I've been searching google for half an hour and can't find out.

Thanks
Jeff

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's both ways.
With Delta, you can pull the cartridge and make it go either way.

With levers, they normally open toward the middle.
With knobs, they can open counter clockwise, but not always.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Huh?

hot turned clockwise to on

cold turned counter-clockwise to on

That would make lever handles open away from you. Mine always were just the opposite of that and only with lever handles. Round handles ALWAYS opened counter clockwise, unless they come from one of the specialty companies who send all valves out as if they had lever handles.

Micajah

Reaction score
Dunbar Plumbing has it right for setting up knobs and cross handles. If you are using levers it would be opposite, the handles would point at you when on/ open. Swapping the valves is how you would correct the rotation between knob/ cross and levers. Most of the instructions do not mention this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Dunbar Plumbing has it right for setting up knobs and cross handles

Huh? He has it right for the cold water using round handles, but for everything else it is incorrect. The only time they are different is if it is a lever handle on a bath tub wall mount faucet, THEN the handles rotate backwards so they rotate upwards to turn on so heavy handles, or loose stems, do NOT cause the valve to turn on by themselves. Some valves have an external device to change the rotation without removing the stems.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what is the correct direction for the hot and cold faucet knobs to turn on/off. This is for my bathroom sink. It's a Delta faucet and the hot and cold knobs are round.

I always thought hot was clockwise, and cold was counterclockwise.

Seems like a simple question, but I've been searching google for half an hour and can't find out.

Thanks
Jeff
What happend is a handy man came and fix it and you got used to it. Both can turn clockwise. One can turn opposite from other.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When I find handles turning the wrong way, I ask the customer if they want me to correct it. Otherwise, they will try to operate the faucet and think it is broken.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks