Can't figure out what this sound is. Help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Turn off the water to the toilet.
Does the tank lose water? If so, it may be a bad flapper making the fill valve work overtime.
If the tank doesn't lose water but the sound stopped, it may be a bad fill valve.

You will need to look inside the tank.

george123123123

Reaction score
Turn off the water to the toilet.
Does the tank lose water? If so, it may be a bad flapper making the fill valve work overtime.
If the tank doesn't lose water but the sound stopped, it may be a bad fill valve.

You will need to look inside the tank.
The tank does not lose water and the sound does not stop. The fill valve does not run at all (with water on or off).

edit: unless the tank needs to be filled, obviously.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't hear it. If you are in a house, I would have somebody slowly turn off electrical breakers. You shout if the sound goes away.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
The hum doesn't sound anything like that, but more like camping in the desert in the night with an idling diesel engine a mile or so away . Besides, the hum cannot be recorded with a microphone -- been there, done that.

It does sound sorta like a cricket. It's strangely familiar... like something with an almost dead battery, or some power bricks.

My real guess is a pinhole water leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks