Check valve ruptured

Users who are viewing this thread

Adkroot

Reaction score
Noticed my pump running during the night when there hadn't been any water usage, then checking things out in the am discovered that the check valve had a fine split running from the end of the threads towards the middle. An inch long. I don't think I tend to over torque, but aside from that issue any other experiences with low quality fittings rupturing similarly? I did get this at HD and not my usual plumbing supply which sells heavier, higher quality fittings.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had that same issue with lighter Boshart check valves. Use Simmons or Flowmatic and sleep at night.

Adkroot

Reaction score
I had that same issue with lighter Boshart check valves. Use Simmons or Flowmatic and sleep at night.
My nearest hardware only had Campbell - I'm nearly an hour from a decent plumbing supply and want to get it leak free at least for now. Seems to be a heavy fitting with a more substantial wall thickness.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've had hair line cracks in metal before...annoying.

Since these things are made who knows where, the metal is not trustworthy like it used to be...pot metal is what it is.

Recently I had issues with imported brass irrigation valves, made to look like Champion valves, but were not as dependable.

Somebody is cashing in on these things, and it's not me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of the hazards of price mentality...the cheapest is not always the best. ON a throw-away item, it may not matter, but on durable goods, it can be a major headache! There's a beauty to well-made items that many people have never experienced and don't know what they are missing. Not many of them come from China.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've been to China and I've seen high quality products in China. They manufacture excellent, good, so so and bad.
The importers choose the quality by the price and market the products here.
Since they are all about making more money, they import bad to so so products that are cheap...and the reputation is that China makes crap.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No matter where it comes from, the new regulation that took all the lead out of brass is the problem. It is not even real brass anymore, usually an alloy like Sibeloe or something. Tends to crack and develop pin holes easily,and flakes off chunks of green copper. So we are left with either plastic, which has Plasticizers or Stainless Steel, which is 15% Chromium.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've been to China as well, and realize as a people, they still have pride and craftsmanship...but, when you build to a price, most of that goes out the door. Many people today do not appreciate quality, they look a the price...quality costs more In a throw-away society, on some things, it doesn't matter much. If you want it to last, quality does matter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks