How many items on a 2" vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

lanachurner

Reaction score
I'm looking at a job in a lake cabin in the northern part of the state.
Complete gut on an old bathroom, switch the wc to the other side of the room, new shower, etc.
I plan to cut off the old CI main below the floor and start over with ABS.
I know I can vent the whole bathroom - wc, lav and shower on a 2" vent.
But the customer would like me to plumb for a stackable washer and dryer just outside the bath.
Can I include that on my 2" vent or do I need a larger one?
There is no plumbing code up there. No, license, no permit, no inspection, nada.
But as always, I'd like to do it correctly.
PS,
Presently, there is no venting at all on the existing lav and shower.
Just a 1 1/2" vent on the wc. :)
Oh,
And the lake is full of walleyes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
2" vents all of that.
If you have 3" going out to the septic, they like to see 3" through the roof. That is either done with one 3" or a combination of two 2" and one 1-1/2".
The 2" is double the volume (area) of the 1.5" that is there now.

lanachurner

Reaction score
2" vents all of that.
If you have 3" going out to the septic, they like to see 3" through the roof. That is either done with one 3" or a combination of two 2" and one 1-1/2".
The 2" is double the volume (area) of the 1.5" that is there now.

Thanks Terry.
I've been offline for a few days here so couldn't post a reply.
Pardon me if I'm not following you exactly.
I have 4 devices that need to be vented. One 2" for the WC and 3 1 1/2" for lav, shower and laundry.
Do I collect them all into a 3" line that goes through the roof or collect them all into a 2" line and then expand it to 3" to go through the roof.
Hope that makes sense.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You only need to expand the opening before it goes through the roof. The reason larger is better, especially where it gets quite cold in the winter, is to prevent hoar frost from closing the vent off when it is really cold and the moist air's contents just condense and freeze. Exactly how far below, I do not remember.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks