Warning on corrugated toilet shutoff valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What do you do if the stub-out is too short?
I really do prefer to have the valves threaded on, so that if you need to replace it, you just unscrew it and screw a new one on. The ones that are connected with compression fittings or whatever else, are difficult to replace because you have to cut the tube and end up with a short stub-out... it sucks :(

That is what a sleeve puller is for. Slide the nut and sleeve off, and then install the new compression stop. You just need the right tool for the job.

sleeve_puller_3.jpg

sleeve-puller-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

Flapper

Reaction score
That is what a sleeve puller is for. Slide the nut and sleeve off, and then install the new compression stop. You just need the right tool for the job.
huh... I had no idea such a thing existed. :p
Thank you very much!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
corrugated-patched.jpg

One more fail. Instead of replacing the angle stop and threaded on a new, longer supply line, some handyman tried to splice the corrugated line with plastic and hose clamps. It wound up causing a lot of damage to the complex.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
That's a lawsuit right there. And probably against the homeowner as well, given that the lease or condo rules doubtless prohibit one from doing one's own plumbing. Of course, the handyman probably has no insurance... Which is why it's always worth more to hire somebody who is licensed, bonded and insured. Unless the condo/apartment manager hired the handyman who did this, in which case the management company would be on the hook for negligence (and should be fired).

By the way, that's one of the dumbest repairs I have ever seen. It indicates someone who never even bothered to try to learn about his/her craft. Because if you are going to take the time to make the repair with hose clamps and tubing, you could have in the same time pulled the shutoff and replaced it properly. I'm guessing that this was done because the repairer didn't have permission to access the complex's water shutoff for this unit.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, not my job. On a complex, you need to set up a time for a shutdown. For those we plan ahead. It needed the new shutoff for sure.
I saw this picture on one of my groups and had to share it. Sometimes knowing what doesn't work is half the battle.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yes, not my job. On a complex, you need to set up a time for a shutdown. For those we plan ahead. It needed the new shutoff for sure.
I saw this picture on one of my groups and had to share it. Sometimes knowing what doesn't work is half the battle.

Exactly. I was guessing that the complex doesn't let just anyone access the shutoff, either. So if the resident doesn't use someone managment trusts, like you, then this is what the resident ends up with.

Flapper

Reaction score
corrugated-patched.jpg

One more fail. Instead of replacing the angle stop and threaded on a new, longer supply line, some handyman tried to splice the corrugated line with plastic and hose clamps. It wound up causing a lot of damage to the complex.
HAHAHAHA how did that not leak the first time?!?! xD amazing

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks