Why would I still have spots and residue despite having soft water (testing at zero grains)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin Craig

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchased and installed a 32K 10% crosslink resin water softener with a Fleck 2510 SXT valve. My calculations led me to the 32K capacity: 9 grains hardness, 3 people, 2 bathrooms, and about 2,500 gallons per month usage.

The install was simple and I immediately had soft water registering as zero hardness according to the Hach hardness kit I purchases. I also noticed that when using soap, I got the slimy or velvety feeling associated with soft water. So far so good.

Now for the strange part. I have a glass shower, which is one of the reasons I got a softener in the first place. Cleaning scale marks is the worst! With the soft water, I no longer have magnesium/calcium scale marks but they have been replaced ten fold with some sort of other white residue. This residue wipes off easily but is still very annoying since it shows up even more prominently than scale. I have wiped these marks with my finger and they taste very salty. Could this be sodium spots? If so, I don’t think that is normal. I desperately would like to get rid of these spots so I can take a shower and NOT have to clean after each one.

Here is some other useful info:

Valve Settings:
Backwash time: 10 mins
Brine Draw: 60 mins
Rapid Rinse: 10 mins
Brine Refill Cycle: 10 mins
Capacity: 32k
Hardness setting: 9
Reserve Selection Safety Factor: 10
Day Override (if usage has not been met): 14

Other:
-TDS is ~150. Not sure of the composition but I live in central FL if that helps.
-I am using standard nugget salt purchased in 40lb bags in Home Depot.
-Before the softener, I installed an Eddy descaler which is supposed to use electro magnetic waves break up calcium and Magnesium into tiny particles so they wipe off easier after they dry. It worked to a certain extent and it’s still installed. Not sure if this is somehow affecting the remaining TDS or the added sodium?
-I noticed the water level in the salt tank seems kind of high. Maybe 2 feet.
-The valve makes a loud whining sound during backwash regen. Not sure if this is normal.
-The water does not taste salty but I have not purchased any tests for sodium levels.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reach4

Reaction score
This residue wipes off easily but is still very annoying since it shows up even more prominently than scale. I have wiped these marks with my finger and they taste very salty. Could this be sodium spots? If so, I don’t think that is normal. I
Yes, it is at least partially sodium salt. That is normal. But 10-fold more? I don't think that is normal. The extra could maybe be soap residue. Use less soap.

There are sprays made for after-shower use. I think they cause the water to sheet off like "Jet Dry" is used for dishwashers. I have not tried them.

If you want really spot-free, you can spritz with distilled or RO water after a shower. Alternatively wipe with a towel to minimize the amount of water drying. You can get distilled water for under $1 for a gallon jug. I spray my eyeglasses with distilled after washing, and let the lenses air dry..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks