Motion Beam for Sprinklers

Users who are viewing this thread

MrFloratam

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with many people letting their dogs pee and poop on my lawn. I have a beautiful lawn, dotted with brown spots where dogs have peed. I know that's what it is because I've been watching. Most people just leave the dog poop on the grass. The more dogs pee on my lawn, the more other dogs feel inclined to mark the territory and now I have patternization of brown spots from the urine. I work hard maintaining my yard and I find this unacceptable.

I would like to come up with a motion sensor or light beam to activate the front zone of my sprinkler system when dogs enter my yard. I have looked at all the motion sensor sprinklers on the market and I don't like them. I want to utilize my existing sprinklers. So far I have looked into driveway warning products, those that sound an alarm to notify you that someone has entered your driveway. However, most of these products are large and would eventually be stolen off the lawn. I have looked at industrial beam emitters/receivers, the type that would be used in factories or machinery. This would be ideal, but would involve placing them on the corners of the lawn so anything or anyone stepping off the sidewalk and onto the lawn would activate it. Again, someone would steal them. I have a large tree on this part of the lawn and was considering mounting a motion sensor several feet up to activate the sprinklers once it determined someone was on the lawn. However, it has to be something with a fairly narrow beam so it will not go off when someone walks down the sidewalk, but only when they step into the grass. I have several ideas in mind but I'm just looking for some feedback and other ideas.

Rancho

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with many people letting their dogs pee and poop on my lawn. I have a beautiful lawn, dotted with brown spots where dogs have peed. I know that's what it is because I've been watching. Most people just leave the dog poop on the grass. The more dogs pee on my lawn, the more other dogs feel inclined to mark the territory and now I have patternization of brown spots from the urine. I work hard maintaining my yard and I find this unacceptable.

I would like to come up with a motion sensor or light beam to activate the front zone of my sprinkler system when dogs enter my yard. I have looked at all the motion sensor sprinklers on the market and I don't like them. I want to utilize my existing sprinklers. So far I have looked into driveway warning products, those that sound an alarm to notify you that someone has entered your driveway. However, most of these products are large and would eventually be stolen off the lawn. I have looked at industrial beam emitters/receivers, the type that would be used in factories or machinery. This would be ideal, but would involve placing them on the corners of the lawn so anything or anyone stepping off the sidewalk and onto the lawn would activate it. Again, someone would steal them. I have a large tree on this part of the lawn and was considering mounting a motion sensor several feet up to activate the sprinklers once it determined someone was on the lawn. However, it has to be something with a fairly narrow beam so it will not go off when someone walks down the sidewalk, but only when they step into the grass. I have several ideas in mind but I'm just looking for some feedback and other ideas.

Did you ever find a better solution than the hose attachments?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks