Sewer gas mystery

Users who are viewing this thread

Lyn12

Reaction score
I believe that the sewer gas is coming from the 2 sewer vent stacks on the roof. I can smell the sewer gas everywhere outside. The front yard, backyard, side of house is blanketed and sitting in car on the street in front of house can smell. It so gross! I put a charcoal filter on one vent and it did not help. Then put 4 foot pcv pipe extention on the other one today. I can't tell yet if that did anything yet as house is so full of gas it might be coming out the open windows. Ordered another charcoal filter coming later in the week.
I think that the wind currents inversion drop the gas staight down to the ground and through open basement window and other open windows and wafting all over the place, instead of going up into the atmosphere. Gas being heavier than the air.
The city has checked evrything out and said sewer positive flow and ok. Nothing they can do.
Ill ask the plumber about the 2 things you mentioned. He doesn't thing that the problem is the pipes in the front yard. And that lots of old cast iron pipes settle a bit. Everyone in town would have sewr gas all over if thats the case. I didn't replace the other drain pipes in the basement draining from the kitchen. He didn't camera them but since it kitchen water didnt think they were the problem

Reaction score
I've had all the plumbing redone now by a master plumber. Including taking out the cast iron leaky pipes under the concrete in the basement.

I didn't replace the other drain pipes in the basement draining from the kitchen. He didn't camera them but since it kitchen water didnt think they were the problem

Which is it? You DID or DID NOT? Why say one thing, when you have not done it at all?

ALL your pipes need to be checked/replaced.

You're the one suffering with the problem, not the "master plumber" that "didn't camera them but since it kitchen water didnt think they were the problem".

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Why dont you try a little experiment and install a couple of studor vents on the roof??
Those auto air vents only allow air into the pipe and wont let air escape.....a 2 inch stdor vent
would cost you about 20 bucks each... just attach them to the stack with fernco clamps and see what happens...

doing the running trap in the basement floor would be your only other option

I dont remember if you ever threw a smoke bomb down the drain to see what
its doing...maybe you already have

Reach4

Reaction score
Plumbers smoked 3 times.
The only pipes not replaced are outside in the front yard to the street. A smoke test did show and smell smoke coming through the ground in the front yard not to far from the house. And a camera did show some problems.

I think the cure involves replacing the sewer line to at least the sidewalk, since you have replaced all of the sewer lines under the basement floor. Here is an easy test for you: how about opening the outside cleanout and see how that affects the inside smell. Also, try laying a tissue over the open cleanout. Is there airflow?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the smartest thing you have done so far was getting rid of those hogs. I’m not too sure about your plumber. Whoever thinks kitchen waste doesn’t stink has never pumped out a grease trap. Septic tanks stink but I think a grease trap is worse. Besides that, the kitchen vents might be connected to the other drains and vent pipes. If you are connected to the sewer, the sewer odor will come out the kitchen vent just as smelly as it does from the toilet vent.

Lyn12

Reaction score
I think the cure involves replacing the sewer line to at least the sidewalk, since you have replaced all of the sewer lines under the basement floor. Here is an easy test for you: how about opening the outside cleanout and see how that affects the inside smell. Also, try laying a tissue over the open cleanout. Is there airflow?

Lyn12

Reaction score
Why dont you try a little experiment and install a couple of studor vents on the roof??
Those auto air vents only allow air into the pipe and wont let air escape.....a 2 inch stdor vent
would cost you about 20 bucks each... just attach them to the stack with fernco clamps and see what happens...

They tested smoke bombs 3 times. They fixed anything leaking. But there was a smoke smell in the front yard. With the.camera

Lyn12

Reaction score
I think the smartest thing you have done so far was getting rid of those hogs. I’m not too sure about your plumber. Whoever thinks kitchen waste doesn’t stink has never pumped out a grease trap. Septic tanks stink but I think a grease trap is worse. Besides that, the kitchen vents might be connected to the other drains and vent pipes. If you are connected to the sewer, the sewer odor will come out the kitchen vent just as smelly as it does from the toilet vent.
I never had any pigs or livestock. It's a special charcoal filter vent on top of stack to filter sewer gas. The name of the filter is ODOR HOG.

Lyn12

Reaction score

What would that do by taking the lid off the cleanout? Something to the pressure somehow? Ill try that.
They tested smoke bombs 3 times. They fixed anything leaking. But there was a smoke smell in the front yard. With the.camera

Lyn12

Reaction score

Lyn12

Reaction score
Which is it? You DID or DID NOT? Why say one thing, when you have not done it at all?

ALL your pipes need to be checked/replaced.

You're the one suffering with the problem, not the "master plumber" that "didn't camera them but since it kitchen water didnt think they were the problem".
They did not camera the section from the kitchen under the concrete. I have no idea why! They sure charged enough. And.those pipes werent replaced

Lyn12

Reaction score
you have come back for more information.......well ok then

Either you install a new sewer line onto the home all the way out to the street or you try to find someone to install an epoxy liner in the sewer liner...... If you found issues in the yard that is all that you can do......
also you could install a backflow protector in the front yard or in the basement
and maybe install a running trap

good luck
They said a.running trap is illegal.
Was that an exaggeration?
Exaggeration? In Illinois running traps are illegal! The pipes in front yard were NOT replaced. The ones in the basement under the concrete from the main drain to wash machine and to wall across room. The width lets say. I stated incorrect when I said ALL had been replaced. Also not replaced from kitchen to drain. All leaks repaired that were found. It checks pressure test ok and smoke bomb 3 times ok except smelled smoke in.area in front yard. All other pipes visible and open inside. Plumber said the other pipes from kitchen to drain could be replaced by putting above ground. But he doubted that would solve the problem

Last edited:

Lyn12

Reaction score
I went to a house back in 96 with a sewer gas problem. After alot of time pulling toilets and plugging drains and filling sewer main with water with no reduction in gas smell I tried to think outside the box. The house was located in a kind of depression with a high bank to one side with tall pine trees. The smell was strongest at certain times of the day, at early morning and evening. Come to find out it was the breeze and the way it circulated causing a down draft coming off the roof and slipping into the windows. The breeze would blow just right to do this in the morning and evening! Go figure. I put inline diaphragm vents on the vent pipes on the roof and all was good.
I hope this helps Lin
I think the inline diaphram vent sounds like what I need. Im not sure what it is or why nobody has mentioned it. Studor vent. Would that do the same thing? I can order them online and seem easy to put on the vent on the roof.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think Mark was talking about putting a Studor vent/air admittance valve/AAV on the roof vent just to see if that would help prevent sewer odor from wafting into the house from the roof. It was just an experiment he wanted you to try. You could probably tie a trash bag over the vent as a test and avoid buying a studor vent for his test.

Lyn12

Reaction score
I think Mark was talking about putting a Studor vent/air admittance valve/AAV on the roof vent just to see if that would help prevent sewer odor from wafting into the house from the roof. It was just an experiment he wanted you to try. You could probably tie a trash bag over the vent as a test and avoid buying a studor vent for his test.

Im going to order 2 of the Studor air vents and see if that works. A plumber told me they arent legal in Illinois?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
They are not legal to install outside on the roof here either. I put one on a 3" vent that is at my back door because of septic odor wafting down onto my patio. It has been up there for 18 years, in full view. I have been afraid every day since I put it up there.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Im going to order 2 of the Studor air vents and see if that works. A plumber told me they arent legal in Illinois?

You can do anything you want to on your own property...

You can even run around your your house in your birthday suit
as long as you please keep the blinds closed:eek::eek:o_Oo_O

Their are not " studor vent police" who are
gonna come out and carry you away for installing them

NO ONE CARES.....

Enjoy...... and be careful getting up on that roof.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks