Is electrolysis a issue with copper pipe and steel fasteners?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kail

Reaction score
I am running all pex in our home that I am plumbing but I have purchased all copper stub ells for coming out of the walls. The ells that I purchased have a 4 hole flange for nailing or screwing the ells to studs. I have always been told that steel and copper should not come in contact with each other because of the chemical reaction that occurs. Can I use steel screws or nails on these cooper flanges and ells or is that a big no no?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Condensation may mean wet pipes, regardless. Maybe not in the desert, but the humidity levels elsewhere in the country, at least in the summer, could be an issue. Depends on the construction and local conditions. Safest to not mix metals. Or, use a plastic clamp, then use whatever fastener you want on it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think yes. I am not a plumber or other pro. I expect that if using steel fasteners was a problem in attaching one of these to your wood, there would be warnings.

Reaction score
I mean WORST case scenario, is that there may be some rot 10-20 years down the line around the holes of that mounting plate, and 90% sure that won't reach into the water supply ell.

If this is contractor work, use whatever screws you have on the truck or in your pockets.

But if this is your own home, do whatever lets you sleep at night.

Copper nails and brass wood screws are really not expensive nor hard to time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two different metals surrounded by an electrolyte create a battery. Moisture can become an electrolyte. If it never gets wet, as has already been stated, it won't be a problem. I would guess you know what an old battery can look like...it may take years, but they can look nasty and things corrode. A cold pipe can sweat, just like your iced tea glass. Granted, there usually isn't a huge amount of moisture in the wall, but there always is some.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks