Removing Purple Primer Drip (oops)

Users who are viewing this thread

fishbum

Reaction score
Ok, how do I remove the drip of purple PVC primer from my new white shower?
I know, I know - slow down you say. But no matter what I did a drop of the stuff always fell from somewhere...
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Well for future work take plastic sheeting and tape and mask off the are below where you are working. As far as the drip you have now anything you do will most likely marr the finish, that said try taking a Q tip and put it in clear primer, lightly rub the spot and keep changing the Q tip, that might work but I have never tried it so I am not sure.

primer-in-tub.jpg

Someone spilled some primer on this tub.

fishbum

Reaction score
Phew, gotcha.

I was plumbing a drain line that runs between the joists above the shower.

Lesson learned - I already covered the upstairs shower with plastic as that is where the drywallers will be working tomorrow!!!!!!

thanks

Fiasco

Reaction score
After getting the drip off you might try using a car buffing wheel and some rubbing compound to smooth the finish if it is marred. I had alot of success with this when I had to remove a very shallow chip when a piece of ceramic was dropped into my tub.

Fiasco

Reaction score
Acetone will eat plastic. I don't know about the finish on a fiberglass tub but I would be hesitant to use acetone.

fishbum

Reaction score
The drip is a long streak, about 1/16" wide and 4" long down on the front of the threshold... if I get time this weekend I'll give a few of these ideas a try.
Thanks everyone-

Fiasco

Reaction score
I wouldn't turn something that small into insurance. They hold that against you and may drop you when you have to file a real claim. Further, if I were to buy a house the first thing I would do is check previous claims as insurers will hold the previous occupants claims against you when calculating your premiums.

Daryl

Handyman
Reaction score
If this drip is located on the outside face of the threshold face you might have a chance if it located on top of the finish. I am assuming the showerpan is acrylic or cultured marble. Go to the nearest auto paint supply store and pick up one of the little round rubber sanding discs which most carry. These are about 1 1/2 inch in diameter and use little adhesive backed sanding discs. they come in very fine grades and are easily controlled do to the size. Purchase 1000 or 1200 grit discs and a squeeze bottle of polishing compound. Very carefully and slowly sand over the drip using water for a vehicle. (Sandpaper is wet or dry). You are attempting to remove just the high part of the drip down to the clear coat finish on the surface. Once you have carefully removed the primer you can polish the fine sand marks out with the polish and a soft rag. THese acrylic and cultured finishes have a clear coat and top of the color which allows small imperfections to be removed and protects the color from wear and tear. (This system is used in the car industry to remove small flaws from urethane finishes.) :D

taterbug

Reaction score
Toothpaste worked!!! My husband dripped the primer in a few places on our new bathtub. Didn't mess with the finish. The drips were there for a few days. Yay!!!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There was a comment about never using the (tinted) purple primer...some inspectors want to see that to ensure you actually used a primer which is nearly impossible to do if you use the clear stuff. The stuff is nasty, and stains. Good to know that toothpaste can remove it, at least from some surfaces.

kevinkay

Reaction score
Barkeepers friend (its like comet for metal) worked for me removing dried purple primer from a white porcelain tub.
This stuff is hard to find, old time hardware stores carry it - its FANTASTIC for pots and pans and whenever nothing else works this stuff comes through.

JerryR

Reaction score

Stephen Strong

Reaction score
Spilled the purple primer and this was the first site I came across. So before I jumped to and heavy duty stuff or sanding this problem out, I seen someone posted toothpaste. Figured what's the harm in trying it first, if it doesn't work no harm done. Well after picking up some regular crest toothpaste and a toothbrush and scrubbing in circles for an hour and a half I managed to get the stain out completely and used some spray on liquid wax for like a car type made it all shiny again like it never happen. Side note the darker it is stain the harder it will be to scrub out. DON'T USE THE PURPLE SHIT use the clear primer.
Hopefully this help whoever makes the same mistake in the future. I have pictures of before and after I was done.

20161110_163745.jpg
20161110_172134.jpg
20161110_172143.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks