Can I adjust a G-MAX Toto water level?

Users who are viewing this thread

Karen Evers

Reaction score
My Toto G-MAX toilet flushing system is leaking a gallon per hour. The Toto tank says water level should be adjusted to 1/2 inch below the top of the overflow tube. But my tank's water level is even with the top of the tube. My G-MAX is green (as in the photo posted by Terry on Nov. 25, 2012). There is a white screw-head on the top that looks like it might be for adjustment.

Attachments

• Toto GMAX flushing valve.jpg
    Toto GMAX flushing valve.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,449

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The white screw changes the adjustment up and down.

ecodrake_insidetank.jpg

tsu33a_3.jpg

If the adjustment isn't working, and it keeps refilling, you may need a new fill valve replacement.
Lowes has the Korky 528MP with the gray cap which works well for TOTO.
Shown below is the Blue cap Korky made for TOTO.

drake-tank-inside.jpg

The replacement fill valve in Korky would be the gray cap 528 MP, and here you see the new Korky replacement flapper.

Last edited:

Karen Evers

Reaction score
Excellent suggestion. So I adjusted the screw, flushed, and it immediately filled up to 1-in. below the top of the overflow tube. Within an hour (or so) the water was up to the top of the tube again. I re-flushed and it came up to 1-in. below the top of the tube again; but within 15 min. it was to the top again. Assuming there is no possible repair, I'll head down to Lowes for a Korky 528MP with a gray cap ASAP. [[FYI for anyone who reads this thread, I figured out the water loss through this toilet by (1) noticing that my recent water bill was unreasonably high, (2) thus noting that the meter to my house was constantly running, (3) estimating the flow rate based on the meter, (4) narrowing the loss down to inside the house, (5) and putting blue dye strips supplied by the water company into the toilet tanks.]]

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the age of the toilet, Toto may send you a free replacement...you could call them on Monday. If you don't need it now, you could keep it as a spare. FWIW, the replacement from Korky (they are one of the suppliers Toto uses), has an internal seal that is easily replaced without tools once it starts to leak. The other thing is the flapper valve, which will eventually need to be replaced. Mine seem to last about 5-years or so, but it's all a function of the local water supply chemicals. If you use anything in the tank, yours might only last 6-months verses years.

Karen Evers

Reaction score
I took the advice. But when I couldn't find a TOTO phone number online yesterday I found them on Facebook. I messaged them with the problem and left my phone number. This morning I received a call from their Georgia offices and they are sending me free replacement parts for my 2009 TOTO. Furthermore, I messaged them again on FB and they immediately responded with links to the installation instructions for the parts. Here are TOTO's numbers:
https://www.facebook.com/TOTOAMERICAS/?fref=ts
TOTO's Georgia offices: 678-466-1300

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Turn the water off then remove the cap and inspect it. There is a rubber diaphram under the grid. There may be holes in it. Replacing the cap will fix that. Also be sure you clean the tube. In the future, just know that these caps are so inexpensive, it's hardly worth waiting for Toto to replace it. I keep one put away along with a replacement flapper.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Turn the water off then remove the cap and inspect it. There is a rubber diaphram under the grid. There may be holes in it. Replacing the cap will fix that. Also be sure you clean the tube. In the future, just know that these caps are so inexpensive, it's hardly worth waiting for Toto to replace it. I keep one put away along with a replacement flapper.
That works if the unit is a Korky, but the OP's is not...

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The white screw changes the adjustment up and down.
If the adjustment isn't working, and it keeps refilling, you may need a new fill valve replacement.
Lowes has the Korky 528MP with the gray cap which works well for TOTO.

drake-tank-inside.jpg

The replacement fill valve in Korky would be the gray cap 528 MP, and here you see the new Korky replacement flapper.
...but I don't see the "white screw". Is it under the blue cap somewhere? I've had to replace flappers in two ST743Ss in less than 2 years.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I don't think I've got the TSU33A; mine is the blue-covered valve in your last image in #2 above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks