1 fuse getting hot, was corroded, fuse out, how do I fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mnalep

Reaction score
So I had a fuse getting hot. I think water got behind fuse box over the summer. I caulked to hole from the outside that was in the brick. Six months later the fuse felt hot. I saw corrosion in the fuse. I put in a new fuse, but that did not resolve. Then I saw the copper strip behind the fuse looked brown. I tried to 'clean' it with emory cloth - no help, plus a small round thing behnd the copper strip started to fall apart as I sanded. (I thought it may be an insulator of some sort?)Fuse made a crackle noise and sparked upon insertion, so I left it out. Well, I've left that fuse out for now.

The other fuses seem fine, not heat, no flickering lights.

If I pay someone to put in a new breaker box, what could that cost?

Is it something I could safely do myself, and what are safety precautions? (I've done switches and outlets and installed ceinling fans - but the box seems more intimidating and I'm not sure how to test for current there).

I also saw someone advertising an old box e replaced on craigslist that looks the same. Could I just swap out the 'fuse cartridge' from his to mine?

fuse socket on right vs on left that heated up. This is before I tried sanding that copper strip with emory cloth, and that round piece (I am guessing it is an insulator broke from me sanding in there).
IMG_20151219_115605.jpg

new fuse on left, old corroded fuse on right shows brown on the inside. Also the back 'tip' had some balck 'burns' on it:
IMG_20151219_115425.jpg

socket holder (upper right) after I tried to sand it, and the inner circle thing behind the 'browning' copper strip broke up. You can still seed the gray colored circular
?insulator? (or whatever that is) behind the copper strip in the fuse socket on the left:

IMG_20151229_134938.jpg

More of the fuse box, showing the ''cartridge/plugs" for the 6 fuses that I thought might be replaceable if I get another box found for sale on craigslist:
IMG_20151219_115442.jpg

The whole box:
IMG_20151229_135806.jpg

And the boxes labeling:

IMG_20151229_134428.jpg

Thanks for your advice,
Matt

Mnalep

Reaction score
Fuse box for sale on Craigslist looks like mine: I was wondering if it would be easy to sawp out that holder that has the sockets for the 6 fuses? Can I just pull the 'main' that is above the 6 fuses to cut electricity to the 'fuses holder'?

fuse box for sale on craigslist.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not an electrician. I would guess $1000 to $2000 with some amount of upgrading as part of the process. Just a guess. Good move. I would look at an independent electrician. Don't be afraid to leave a message. An independent will probably not have an office staff.

Can I just pull the 'main' that is above the 6 fuses to cut electricity to the 'fuses holder'?
Yes.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you ever want to do some remodeling in the house, you will need a bigger panel. For example, when remodeling a kitchen, it requires two independent 20A circuits for just the counters, not counting what may be needed for the stove, frig, etc. A bathroom also need its own 20A circuit that is GFCI protected. I think you get the idea. Paying money to repair what you have is a patch, and that may be fine, but seems like money poorly spent, assuming you can afford an upgrade.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you ever want to do some remodeling in the house, you will need a bigger panel. For example, when remodeling a kitchen, it requires two independent 20A circuits for just the counters, not counting what may be needed for the stove, frig, etc. A bathroom also need its own 20A circuit that is GFCI protected. I think you get the idea. Paying money to repair what you have is a patch, and that may be fine, but seems like money poorly spent, assuming you can afford an upgrade.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NONE of your pictures show HOW the fuse module is mounted in the box, therefore it is impossible to tell you whether you could just replace it with another one.

Mnalep

Reaction score
Hi hj,

I had neighbor's friend take the cover off the box, and it looks as if there may be 4 screws in each corner that hold the fuse module on the panel. He tightened down some screws, and now the fuse is not overheating. But I think it is a little loose due to that felt 'washer' that broke down that had sat behind the copper strip inside the one fuse socket. So if the fuse moves a little, it hums. Does not overhaat anymore, and no longer any flickering lights. So it's OK for now. (You can see the top right fuse is missing a round 'fiber washer'. That ;fiber washer' is still visible in the in the top left fuse socket. I think that missing fiber washer is why that upper right fuse has a bit of 'play' in it?)
IMG_20151230_113211 with arrows .jpg

My picture did not come out as clear as I had hoped. but I drew four red arrows pointing to where I think these screws are that hold the fuse module on. What do you think?

I am going to meet a guy who is selling a similar box this week (the exact same one I believe as mine) so I will be able to handle it and even look at the backside of it and get better pictures.

I also notice some rust on the screws where the service wires come in from the meter. I guess this rust is not affecting my house electricity, as all my home circuits seem to be working ok. Here is that picture with two red arrows pointing at the rust...

IMG_20151230_113230 with arrows .jpg

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Unless money is extremely tight NOW is the time to upgrade to a 200A service. Don't mess around trying to band-aid the old fuse box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks