Kohler Pedestal Sink Install

Users who are viewing this thread

mekump

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for your help

I am installing a Kohler Portrait pedestal sink and the back of the sink that mates up to the wall is very uneven. If I level the sink I have about a 1/4" inch gap between the wall and the top back of the sink. Should I level the sink or should I mount the sink so that it is flush to the wall?

Mike

Zach

Reaction score
The sink shouldn't need to be level front to back. You can probably install it flush to the wall, shim the base to support it properly, and then grout or caulk around the base to hide the gap and shims.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you wall is flat and level, and the sink is the wavy part...take it back as it is defective. The thing cost enough, they owe you a good one.

Oyama

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for your help

I am installing a Kohler Portrait pedestal sink and the back of the sink that mates up to the wall is very uneven. If I level the sink I have about a 1/4" inch gap between the wall and the top back of the sink. Should I level the sink or should I mount the sink so that it is flush to the wall?

Mike

I also purchased Kohler Memoirs pedestal sink in 2005 and only had a chance to install now. I immediately noticed on mine that the back of the sink was uneven too and to make matters worse so was my wall slightly. Now I have a 1/4 inch gap to deal with.

Since I cannot take it back now, should I just place a couple of shims along the back side and caulk over it? I just want to make sure that the sink is properly secured having two children in the house.

After reading all the complaints that others have had with their Kohler sinks and toilets, I will no longer be buying a product from them again.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
To both of you with the warped-back pedestals,

If for some reason you have not yet tiled the wall where the sink is butting up to, I would 'scoop' out the sheet rock so that that top edge made contact, and then tile from there.

Porcelain of any brand is hardly ever perfectly formed. It really tends to slump somehow, someway, in one direction or another.

HE

Oyama

Reaction score
To both of you with the warped-back pedestals,

If for some reason you have not yet tiled the wall where the sink is butting up to, I would 'scoop' out the sheet rock so that that top edge made contact, and then tile from there.

Porcelain of any brand is hardly ever perfectly formed. It really tends to slump somehow, someway, in one direction or another.

HE

Howard, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I've already tiled my walls. This issue with porcelain is new to me but I would expect much better quality control coming from Kohler (they sure charge enough).

Here's a photo of my sink:

Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pedestal sink install

Coming from a professional what i always do in this case is get plumbers putty, roll into a string and push down into the crack filling as much as possible, then use dap caulking to seal with

TRYING TO USE DAP OR ANY CAULKING ALONE WILL JUST RUN DOWN THE WALL

use a small wet sponge to smooth out the caulking keep rinsing out sponge in sink till you get a smooth bead across it

then do not ! ! Use sink for 24 hrs. Till caulking cures

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

quote; If for some reason you have not yet tiled the wall where the sink is butting up to, I would 'scoop' out the sheet rock so that that top edge made contact, and then tile from there.

I hope you are not telling him to mount the sink and then tile down to it. If so, then there is no need to "scoop" the sheetrock because the tile will cover the gap anyway. But it will also make the sink impossible to remove later if they use the hanger brackets that come with some sinks.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
quote; If for some reason you have not yet tiled the wall where the sink is butting up to, I would 'scoop' out the sheet rock so that that top edge made contact, and then tile from there.

I hope you are not telling him to mount the sink and then tile down to it. If so, then there is no need to "scoop" the sheetrock because the tile will cover the gap anyway. But it will also make the sink impossible to remove later if they use the hanger brackets that come with some sinks.

HJ,
The only pedestal sink I ever installed was fastened with bolts and washers through holes from underneath, but I understand what you're talking about.

It was too late in any case.

HE

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks