Adding inline filter between water heater and humidifier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wade Lippman

Reaction score
The last two years my Honeywell humidifier hasn't worked because the tiny filter and even tinier orifice were clogged. I thought I would add an inline polypropylene filter between the water heater and the humidifier, hoping I could avoid the constant clogging.

I got a Hydronix ISF2512, but noticed that it says maximum is 100*. The water from the water heater will be hotter than that. Can I use this filter? If not is there one that is good for hot water?

hydronix_isf_2512_01.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect that if you had softened water the clogging problem would go away.

Is your humidifier one that drains some water regularly, or one that only receives but does not drain water.

Wade Lippman

Reaction score
I suspect that if you had softened water the clogging problem would go away.

Is your humidifier one that drains some water regularly, or one that only receives but does not drain water.

There is a steady flow through the drain when it is working.
My old house never clogged in 25 years, but it was an Aprilaire.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While the need for a humidifier tends to be an indicator of other functional problems in the house, I have one in my condo. It's an AprilAire that uses a flow-through design, with any excess going down the drain. At the end of the season, the entire evaporative panel is coated with mineral deposits, but it's never clogged.

Some installation instructions specify hot water, but I've never had issues just running it from the cold supply with no water softener.

Reach4

Reaction score
Check your aerators. If they have junk, I would consider adding a whole house cartridge filter.

I would flush my water heater anyway.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It's not clear if you're dealing with sediment in the water (unlikely on a public water supply) or a mineral buildup from minerals dissolved in the water that precipitated out during evaporation (much more likely). Both can clog up a nozzle, but only sediment can be filtered out, the other requires a water softener to remove those minerals. Any minerals in the water will be left behind when the water evaporates. Those can clog all sorts of things.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It's not clear if you're dealing with sediment in the water (unlikely on a public water supply) or a mineral buildup from minerals dissolved in the water that precipitated out during evaporation (much more likely). Both can clog up a nozzle, but only sediment can be filtered out, the other requires a water softener to remove those minerals. Any minerals in the water will be left behind when the water evaporates. Those can clog all sorts of things.

Some designs of humidifier work better than others, minimizing issues with their deposits. The only way around that is to use distilled water (softened water has fewer minerals than unsoftened water - true distilled water has none). Using hot water means it will evaporate quicker, and if it has minerals in it, leave them behind, possibly at an inappropriate place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks