Help understaning what is wrong with jet pump setup

Users who are viewing this thread

olmec

Reaction score
I have a 1.2 kilowatt jet pump that is located at the top of a 16 meter (52 feet) well.
Water level is 11 meters (36 feet) down

This pump has worked in the past (with unknown water level). In the summer the well went dry and I could no longer pump.

Now that the water is back I am trying to start the pump.
I have tried priming as per the instructions but not sure if I am doing it right....

The outlet line from the pump is open at the end (no tap)
There are 2 bungs, one in the pump body and one in top of the controller (as per photo)

Which one should I be putting water into? I have tried both but it never fills... how long should it take to fill or does it not need to completely fill to be primed?

Does the air chamber play any part in getting it started..? surely it is just for the start / stop control?

Any hints much appreciated.

Attachments

• jet-pump.jpg
    jet-pump.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 467

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it isn't filling then the footvalve in the well needs to be pulled and cleaned or replaced.

olmec

Reaction score
If it isn't filling then the footvalve in the well needs to be pulled and cleaned or replaced.

Thanks for the tip. Next question, there are 2 pipes that go down. One larger and one smaller. Which one is it likely to be on or do I need to pull it all up?

Reach4

Reaction score
The foot valve connects to both pipes.

olmec

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I pulled up the pipes today and discovered something much like the photo. I cleaned the foot valve and filled the system with water (above ground) everything looked good so I lowered it all back in and primed it, filled perfectly and was soon pumping.

So, this is resolved and I learnt a bit about my well and pump. I am assuming the foot valve was wedge open somehow and my fiddling rectified it.

Cheers!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks