Anti Sweat Valve problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brendoni

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a strange situation where I was not able to find information regarding the problem that a client of mine has with two Toto CST 626CEFG toilets. Both have identical problem, where you remove the tank lids and they are completely wet inside. My first thought was that the fill valve was leaking water and spraying, but that was not the case. Then I noticed that the water in the tank was sometime warm, where the client confirmed that a previous plumber had installed tempering valves. I was not able to see them, so i suspect they may be of a fixed type and have been drywalled over.
This is in a brand new home with air conditioning and modern toilets so I'm surprised the valves were installed in the first place.

My question is, has anybody else encountered this situation?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have condensation, the water is cold.
Replacing the flapper keeps the toilet from running constantly. If the water shuts off, and holds in the tank, it should warm to the home temperature.
A tempering valve is used to mix hot and cold to supply the tank in some cases.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Low flow toilet tanks hold a lot more water than is used for a single flush. Even if the refill water is quite cold, it mixes with the water remaining in the tank which is already at room temperature so condensation is not a problem. In addition, the refill water has been setting in the pipe for awhile and should have warmed some.

Brendoni

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, however, I should have rephrased my question more clearly; Since it seems if the water in the toilet tank is warm enough,
it will evaporated easily creating condensation under the lid of the tank, which was in my client case. So I figure that the tempering valve should have an adjustment screw to control the amount of hot water in the mix. I was wondering if anybody else had that issue of too warm water in the tank? There is no condensation issues on the exterior surfaces of the toilet.

Update: Upon further investigation, it turns out the client had misunderstood me regarding the tempering valves. She did not have any, but what her home had was a hot water recirculating system where the cooled hot water is returned to the heater tank via cold water lines to be reheated. This seems to be similar to a case I had years ago, where a client called to find out why the water in the toilet was hot. When I checked, sure enough, it was steaming! Turns out they had installed a dishwasher, and for some reason they connected the hot and cold water together using a y-hose to the dishwasher. Over time, the hot water pushed out the cold water and made its way to the toilet. Anybody encountered a similar situation?

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Actually, condensation on the INSIDE of the tank will come when the tank water is warm and the outside air is cooler (like an air conditioned home). It's the exact reverse of what happens when you have a warm environment and ice-cold water in the tank.

My question is: why does anybody care? The tank is designed to hold water inside it. So what if the inside of the lid is wet when lifted? What normal person lifts the tank lid for any reason than to investigate and fix a problem, which presumably doesn't happen more than annually?

PS We have one of those hot water recirc systems and love it. All it really does is bleed off a very little bit of water from the hot side at the very end of the branch so that the hot water isn't just sitting in the pipe and getting cold. It's like letting the hot side drip into a basin at the end of the branch, but instead the water flows over to the cold side due to a slight pressure differential created by an intentionally-weak pump. Only the faucet at the very end of the line should be affected; in the winter when the crossover valve is open more or open more often, maybe one faucet back will see some warmth on the cold side, but that's it.

Last edited:

Brendoni

Reaction score
Actually, condensation on the INSIDE of the tank will come when the tank water is warm and the outside air is cooler (like an air conditioned home). It's the exact reverse of what happens when you have a warm environment and ice-cold water in the tank.

My question is: why does anybody care? The tank is designed to hold water inside it. So what if the inside of the lid is wet when lifted? What normal person lifts the tank lid for any reason than to investigate and fix a problem, which presumably doesn't happen more than annually?

PS We have one of those hot water recirc systems and love it. All it really does is bleed off a very little bit of water from the hot side at the very end of the branch so that the hot water isn't just sitting in the pipe and getting cold. It's like letting the hot side drip into a basin at the end of the branch, but instead the water flows over to the cold side due to a slight pressure differential created by an intentionally-weak pump. Only the faucet at the very end of the line should be affected; in the winter when the crossover valve is open more or open more often, maybe one faucet back will see some warmth on the cold side, but that's it.

Brendoni

Reaction score
Sorry I missed your response. Thank you Wise One, that does make sense, no need to fix something that ain’t broken.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks